ServiceController performance issues in Windows Server 2008 R2
In our environment we have 6 Windows Server 2008 R2 servers, 4 application servers, one web server and one SQL server. A website is served on the web server that is used to monitor the status of the other servers. One of the items monitored is running services. To achieve this we use the ServiceController class found in System.ServiceProcess. After the upgrade from Windows 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2 we began experiencing performance issues with our monitoring website. Page execution will often exceed two minutes causing a 404 error on the client side. I have narrowed down the culprit to be the running services query described above. After the initial execution lag, performance of the service query returns to normal for a brief time, approximately 15 to 20 minutes after which we get another incident of the performance problem and the cycle repeats. I have several questions: 1) Is ServiceController built on top of WMI? If so, is WMI still experiencing performance problems as described here. 2) Is there an alternative method for querying service status on a computer within the domain (i.e. not the local computer)? 3) Could there be network environment variables I've not considered? (I'm a developer, not a network engineer)
May 22nd, 2012 9:25am

IMHO the more appropriate place to ask is in MSDN section here. Depending on the toolos you used narrow your search here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa497440.aspx#two Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2012 11:51am

IMHO the more appropriate place to ask is in MSDN section here. Depending on the toolos you used narrow your search here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa497440.aspx#two Regards Milos
May 22nd, 2012 11:59am

Hi khariq, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as Answered. Wed love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts. Best Regards KevinTechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 24th, 2012 10:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics