Server on vista? good idea or not?
Hi, recently I have started my business and I need to place my web application somewhere for its purpose. That application consist of ASP.NET 3.5 web user/admin interfaceand Windows Service application. I am considering following solutions and would appreciate if you can let me know what is the best solution from technical/security point of view:- VPS- own server at home + broadband with static IP, windows server 2008- PC with windows vista and static IP broadbandObviously last one is the cheapest, but I am wondering if there are some security reasons why I should not go for it. VPS has lowest initial costs. Own server is the highest cost.
November 13th, 2009 3:59pm

I believe second option will be the best one. It will give you security as well as you can save some dollars on hostin git with some service provider.Raj
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 13th, 2009 4:18pm

Hello,i would check out the second option with Windows Foundation server or SBS, made for small business:http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/default.aspxhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/foundation.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 15th, 2009 8:32pm

Hi there, Having a static IP exposed to internet is always threat and when you say that you are hosting your own application its a potential risk. So you have to carefully plan for the security for your application how does users communicate to your app server what is the content that you wish to save ?
November 16th, 2009 7:47am

Sainath,Hi, thanks for reply, here is few more details:- my application is electronic documents interchange app so for example e-invoices, purchase orders.- I am using ASP.NET Membership to authenticate users.- also will have FTP Server there for file upload automation (I guess I should use sFTP?)- I was going to add IP security to my app, I mean allow particualar users to access it only from particular IPs- I am wondering also if I could restrict access to server to some IPs only.- If I am here already, maybe somebody know what is the difference between SSL cert and digital cert? I need to digitally sign documents and probably use https.Rajnish,I don't think I will actually save there. The cheapest server with WS2008 would cost around 1200 euro. Static IP Broadband around 80per month (currently I pay 40 so it is 40 more, in Ireland only business broadband gives static IP and is dear). Fairly good VPS would be around70-80 euro per month. So in general I would start saving in 30 months time. Of course I would prefer to have more control, but on the other hand I am not really familiar with servers and this is business application, so I can't let it be vulnerable.All,Maybe these will give you better view on what I need and you may have some more advice for me.
November 16th, 2009 12:56pm

Hi, You cannot setup Active Directory Domain on Vista. If you dont need management functions provided by AD and other server components, such as File Server, DNS, DHCP server, Remote Desktop Services, Group Policy, etc, its OK to configure IIS on and ASP.Net server on Vista. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 19th, 2009 10:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics