Server keeps rebooting after Windows Server 2008 install
I installed Windows server 2008 on a Dell 2950 last Friday and the installation went fine except that the server has rebooted itself about six times in the last four days for no apparent reason!I ran diagnostics on the server and the HW is fine.Has anyone else experienced this issue?Thanks
July 9th, 2008 11:48pm

Hello, Please check the Event Viewer to check if there are any events after the restartif you findany event ids please checkon Micrsoft Support website.In case if you cannot find any event then please folow the Procedure listed below.a)Perform a Clean boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". b)Reboot in a safe mode 1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu. 2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter. 3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges. Please note: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. If the problem continues, we may need to analyze the memory dump to locate the root cause. For memory dump analysis.Thanks Syed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 10th, 2008 1:01am

I ran the machine in safe mode as instructed above and it rebooted again, for no reason?
July 10th, 2008 2:54pm

Thanks for trying the above solution. Can you please update all the patches and drivers for you hardware components ??and also check the hardware compatibiliy list to make it sure that you hardware is compatible. www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/ Please it that the applicatiions which have installed not be compatible with win 2008. If the problem continues, we may need to analyze the memory dump to locate the root cause. For memory dump analysis, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Product Support Services via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with this request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERSIf you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 10th, 2008 8:41pm

I think i may have found at least one issue. In my MAP i had 2 copies of Windows Server 2008. One Enterprise version, which i installed, but noticed it was from 11/07 and said evaluation copy, and never did any updates! Last night i installed the other MAP copy, which was STD edition, and didinstall updates, and does not say evaluation copy in the bottom right corner.It was from 4/08. So far it seems more stable and is not rebooting every few hours for NO reason.
July 11th, 2008 7:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics