Server is not operational
Hi,When I click "Manage user and computers in Active Directory" in windows server 2003, this message come out:"Naming information can not be located for following reason:The server is not operational.If you are trying to connect to a domain controllerrunning windows 2000, verify that windows 2000 server servic pack 3 or later is installed on the domain controller, or use the windows 2000 administration tools. For more information about connecting to domain controllers running windows 2000, see Help and Support."Our server is running windows 2003 standard edition and we don't have any windows 2000 server on our network. Any one knows about this error and can tell me how to solve this. Thanks and regards,Moe
June 22nd, 2009 5:46am

HelloGo to start, Administrative tools, select Active Directory Users and Computers and see if you experience same error? Also, Do you have Active Directory installed on this server?Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2009 7:46am

Hi Moe; This behavior may occur if the guest account on the trusted domain is turned on. The guest account does not have the rights to enumerate users. Method 1: Turn off the guest account in the trusted domain To turn off the guest account, follow these steps: Click Start , point to Programs , point to Administrative Tools , and then click Active Directory Users and Computers. In the console tree, expand the domain where you want to make changes, and then click the Users folder. Right-click Guest in the details pane, and then click Disable Account. To create the same trusting domain user account, follow these steps: Click Start , point to Programs , point to Administrative Tools , and then click Active Directory Users and Computers . In the console tree, right-click the Users folder, point to New , and then click User . Type the information about the user who exists in the trusting domain, and then click Next . Type the existing user account password, and then click Next . Note You may also type a different password for this user account. If you create a different password for this user account, the trusted domain may prompt you for the user credentials when you connect to the trusted domain by using this account. Click Finish . Good Luck
June 22nd, 2009 1:42pm

Hi Fouad,Thanks for ur reply. I already saw this method in microsoft web site and i tried it last week. It doesn't work. Coz i can't go to Active Directory Users and Computers from that way also. I did it directly on server. I didn't do from remote desktop connection. I already tried it. Do u have any other method to turn off Guest account?Thanks and RegardsMoe
June 23rd, 2009 4:10am

Hi Moe,Do you have a chance to install administration tool pack on a client computer and then remotely administer the Active Directory Users and Computers? I am afraid that there is no other method that can turn off the Guest account if you don't have permission to access the AD database either remotely or locally.You may try downloading the admin pack via the following link, and install it on a domain client.Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration Tools Packhttp://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e487f885-f0c7-436a-a392-25793a25bad7&displaylang=enThen logon the domain client with a domain administrator account, then perform the method like Fouad has suggested.How to use the Administration Tools Pack to remotely administer computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304718Hopeit will be helpful.Thanks and Regards,ScorprioMCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin
June 24th, 2009 7:34am

Please check the following services running on the server Dns servernetlogon.Thankshttp://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
June 24th, 2009 9:50am

Hi Scorprio,Thanks for ur reply. I tried with ur method but still can't go to Active Directory Users and Computers yet. :(Rgds,Moe
June 24th, 2009 10:48am

Hi,DNS Server service and Netlogon service are running.Tks and Rgds,Moe
June 24th, 2009 10:49am

hi there, can you check the below link and let us know if it helped "check the disjoint name space in the article "and also provide us the event loghttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/257623sainath !analyze
June 24th, 2009 10:57am

Please ensure that there are noincorrect DNS entry's in the TCP/IP DNS Servers list and also if the server is point itself in the dns listig. Make sure only dc's or servers with the active directory domain dns zone is in the dns list.Thankshttp://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
June 24th, 2009 11:17am

Hi I had the same issue, turns out windows firewall server was blocking the LDAP ports
July 8th, 2009 6:53pm

Thank you so much it works for me
April 12th, 2010 2:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics