Server creates new DHCP interface on restart
I have provided Win Server 2008 64 bit Std Edition SP1 on an HP server platform withIntel(R) Xeon(R) CPUE5405 @ 2.00GHz Quad Core Processor and a singleHP NC105i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter.Most times this just sits there and works. Onthree occasions in six months after a restart forced by Windows Update, we have lost network connectivity to the server. On investigation, instead of showing the Network Connection with the fixed pre-allocated IPv4 address, the Device Manager shows an alternative instance of the NIC, with a DHCP allocated-IP address. Under normal circumstances, the Event Log shows that the NIC comes available to TCPIP about 5 seconds after the loopback interface comes up. Under the failed circumstances the alternative interface becomes available about 2m:30S after the loopback interface comes up and will be designated HP NC105i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter #2: Note the #2 on the end.Since I am managing this remotely, this loss of connectivity is inconvenient to say the least.Anyone else seen this and do they have a solution?[I'm new here and no expert on this system!]RegardsJim Evans, Eclectic Solutions, UK
February 17th, 2009 9:16pm

hi there,this is difficult to predict what is causing the issue. this is pretty wierd , when you said the device manager is showing a additional interface, i would say this is not possible unless you install an additional interface / might be microsoft loopback interface which is logical.only devices will get registerd under device manager tree with appropriate hardware id and associated class id . so PNP manager would not accpet the entries if there is no real hardware piece fixed, as i said it is only possible if you have configrued local adapter/ interface.when you see the issue , please do let us know what is the make of the interface and if you feel that the interface ibelong to specific vendor but whch is actually not present then we need to check if the HKR in the registry have the appropriate entry registered earlier.sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 24th, 2009 5:57pm

+ It seems that you have 2 NIC on machine - double check BIOS settings+ Loopback adapter are know to machine and they cannot communicate with DHCP Server to get an IP address+ It seems that firmware of BIOS is behaving wrongly and after reboot activates second NIC which was set to disable.+ Check your machine if it has NIC teaming software or any other software which interact directly with NIC - might be causing issue.+ What's workaround you were using after you found second NIC getting detected and getting IP from DHCP server? Disabled NIC or unistalled NIC drivers or disabled second NIC through BIOS?+ Another test you can do - disable plug and play service after unistalling second NIC and check if hardware gets detected or not.............idly it will not get detected and no drivers will be loaded and no DHCP IP will be assigned.Hope this helps.
February 25th, 2009 7:01am

Few more troubleshooting steps: Disable PXE and any NIC boot ROM -- haven't seen this issue with modern nics, but some older nics displayed similar behavior to what you are describing when the onboard IP/DHCP stack loads. Like Shilpesh suggested, look for issues related to virtual teaming adapters. If you have a teaming adapter installed cues from the switchprotocolsmay be causing the inconsistent behavior. Start from scratch. "show hidden" and remove theunallocated adapters from device manager. Also may want tolook through your HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\ for unwanted drivers or devices. Comparenormal and abnormalNetDiag,the differences maygive you hints as to weather it's a PnP resource issue or otherwise. Look for obvious signslike MAC address and PID changes.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 2nd, 2009 11:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics