Server Uptime Availability Reports in SCOM
Hi Friends,

Whenever i am running the Availability Report for an server by adding the computer object, it is calculating all the monitors present inside the server and giving us the average/aggregate report as the server Uptime.

Because of that we are getting wrong server availability information. We need to submit our Server availability report to our client and we commited to give 99.5% uptime.

We have used Uptime.exe tool to take up the exact uptime and it is showing the exact downtime.. The only advantage and the reason we opted to take the reports in SCOM is, scom has the ability to exclude the planned maintenance from the total as downtime.

Thanks & Regards,
Dinesh Sundaram
Please help me to take the exact report which suffice my requirement. I think we can do that with the help of SQL Reporting Services. If yes, kindly guide me to take the steps to do that
November 5th, 2009 11:43am

Hi,
You could build distributed applications with only service components and then run the report against the distributed application. For example include one web site and a database in the distributed application.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 5th, 2009 12:55pm

Part of the problem with the server availability report in SCOM is the way that the health roll-up affects availability. For example, a C: drive that's over the threshold for error will generate an Error which shows in the health-state for the server and subsequently rolls-up and makes the server "unavailable" even though your 100G C: drive has plenty of space left.

This was a major complaint at MMS 09 in a user focus-group I attended. I wouldn't rely on SCOM's availability report for individual servers, especially if management sees it.
November 5th, 2009 6:25pm

Hi Dinesh

This is by design - "Whenever i am running the Availability Report for an server by adding the computer object, it is calculating all the monitors present inside the server and giving us the average/aggregate report as the server Uptime."

What you need to do is Add the health service watcher object rather than the computer object.

So in the availability report, when you select add object, type in a server name and search and you'll see the search results include a number of items. One of those has an icon of a pair of glasses (watcher!) - class health service watcher.

This will give you availability of the agent which is (I think) the metric that you want.

Cheers

Graham

November 5th, 2009 7:44pm

No activity for 30 days, will close this thread, feel free to open it again.
December 17th, 2009 9:55pm

No activity for 30 days, will close this thread, feel free to open
October 6th, 2010 6:23am

No activity for 30 days, will close this thread, feel free to open
October 6th, 2010 6:26am

What you need to do is Add the health service watcher object rather than the computer object.

So in the availability report, when you select add object, type in a server name and search and you'll see the search results include a number of items. One of those has an icon of a pair of glasses (watcher!) - class health service watcher.

This will give you availability of the agent which is (I think) the metric that you want.

The above solution is a good one if you want an availability report same as MOM 2005.

May 11th, 2011 1:46pm

We need to report server uptime status to our clients. As per discussed in previous forums I am using Health service watcher object to generate server availability reports.
However, still it is wrong for few servers.

The server shows downtime of more than 7 days. However, the server was not rebooted during the period, and there are no events for the server not being available in the ops manager logs in the server.

Also some windows servers shows down for 3-4 minutes. These machines were running since more than 60 days without any downtime.

Serveral forums disucssed that this is a bug, and should be reported to MS.
Pls help.

• Edited by abs_dear Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:56 AM
May 13th, 2011 10:47am

We need to report server uptime status to our clients. As per discussed in previous forums I am using Health service watcher object to generate server availability reports.
However, still it is wrong for few servers.

The server shows downtime of more than 7 days. However, the server was not rebooted during the period, and there are no events for the server not being available in the ops manager logs in the server.

Also some windows servers shows down for 3-4 minutes. These machines were running since more than 60 days without any downtime.

Serveral forums disucssed that this is a bug, and should be reported to MS.
Pls help.

• Edited by abs_dear Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:56 AM
May 13th, 2011 10:47am

Hi Guys

i got the exact same issue, my server shows down for 2 days, when i dig deeper into the health service on the availability report it shows that the computer was reachable and that all the entities in the health services has an uptime of 100%.

The high level view of the report still shows 100% downtime

anybody got an answer on this?

May 20th, 2011 9:43am

I have also been having this issue where some servers are showing that they are down in my daily availability reports, when they are not. For me the only way to correct the issue has been to restart the server in question, but in time some of these servers will show again that they are down, when they are not. I'm using the managed agent group object for this report. I have about 100 servers, and most are reporting correctly. I will try to use the health server watcher object, but I'm not sure if that is going to resolve my issue. Also, I have noticed that if I reboot my RMS server that the next day the availability report is all messed up with wrong information. It ususally takes about a day before the report is back to normal.
June 2nd, 2011 5:53pm

I'm resurrecting this old post...

If I open the Availability report, select a date range, click on Add Object, enter a server name and choose the Health Service Watcher, that's the information I'm looking for.

But, I want this for all managed servers, in one report.  Do I have to enter the names one at a time??

February 18th, 2014 4:21pm

Hi John,

I am quite sure you would have found a way to get report without manually adding each server. Below is the option that I used to get the report.

You can create a state view for 'Health Service Watcher' object. In the view, select all 'Health Service watcher' object for all managed servers and select 'Availability' task in the 'Reports tasks' section of 'Tasks'.

Regards
Santhosh

June 25th, 2015 6:31pm

We worked around this issue by creating a linked report. We scoped the linked report to the Computer Not Reachable Monitor. It works great. I got the directions from Emre's blog. It was little tricky, but I worked through it after a couple of tries.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/emreguclu/archive/2011/10/13/using-linked-reports-in-scom-to-create-custom-availability-reports-for-specified-monitors.aspx

July 30th, 2015 2:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics