Server Poor/Slow Performance
I am running a machine with Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2. I have 4 GB of ram on the machine. Hard drive is near capacity. There is a 500 GB hard drive on the machine and there is only 30 GB of free space left. We are running SQL server off of it (two applications using 8 databases) and DFS for user files and a public shared directory. (I did not set it up this way and would have questioned why they were setting this up if I had been here at the time). Applications run directly on the server are fine. When we run the applications on client workstations there is quite a bit of slowness and even some time out issues that show up on the client side. I also have issues with users complaining about not being able to access their user files often. I have checked all hardware on the server and determined there are no hardware issues on the server. I am not fully convinced that we aren't having an issue with the switch but other programs like outlook and our VOIP Call manager program have no issues on client workstations. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the issue or do you think I simply need to invest in an additonal server and get SQL and DFS off the same box?
February 4th, 2011 1:35pm

Hi, What might be causing the user problems accessing thier files could be caused by the harddisk needing to be defragged. But you need at least 15% in your case 80gb free space to run Windows defrag. Adding another Harddrive might help in giving you more space to defrag the existing harddisk. Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2011 2:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics