Server Infrastructure Licensing - Automatic Shut down

I have tried the other threads but pretty much everything goes off in other directions :(

I joined my new employer a few months ago and inherited a windows 2012 essentials server. I have since discovered that the server is shutting itself down automatically due to errors in Server Infrastructure Licensing.

I will paste some below for example.

=====

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Server Infrastructure Licensing/Operational
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Server Infrastructure Licensing
Date:          01/09/2013 07:18:08
Event ID:      2
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      TYCHE.hlaw.local
Description:
The Forest Trust Check in the Licensing component did not pass because error 0x80070008 occurred in function fe1 [QRKD].
Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Make sure that each primary domain controller in your Active Directory forest can be contacted and the following services are running on it: Active Directory Domain Services (NTDS), DNS Server (DNS) and Kerberos Key Distribution Center (KDC). This server will be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected.

======

Event ID:      38
Keywords:      
Description:
The Forest Trust Check detected a condition in your environment that is out of compliance with the licensing policy. This server will be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected in 27 day(s) 20 hour(s) 0 minute(s). Please look for additional events for Forest Trust Check to troubleshoot.

======

Event ID:      3
Keywords:      
Description:
The FSMO Role Check in the Licensing component did not pass because error 0x80070008 occurred in function f2 [ORJF].

Make sure that your DNS server can be contacted and the following services are running: Active Directory Domain Services (NTDS), DNS Server (DNS), Kerberos Key Distribution Center (KDC).  This server will be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected.

======

Keywords:      
Description:
The FSMO Role Check detected a condition in your environment that is out of compliance with the licensing policy. This server will be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected in 27 day(s) 20 hour(s) 0 minute(s). Please look for additional events for FSMO Role Check to troubleshoot.

=======

Event ID:      50
Keywords:      
Description:
Root domain check did not pass because error 0x80070008 occurred in function f1980 [NYGH].

Make sure that the domain that this computer is joined is reachable. This server will automatically shut down if the issue cannot be corrected.

=======

Keywords:      
Description:
The Root Domain Check detected a condition in your environment that is out of compliance with the licensing policy. This server will be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected in 27 day(s) 20 hour(s) 0 minute(s). Please look for additional events for Root Domain Check to troubleshoot.

====

These 6 errors repeat over and over every few hours until server shuts down.

From trying to research this most posts reference server 2008, or old kb articles which are not related to 2012 or suggesting I have other domain controllers. I don't just this server which for all intents and purposes works correctly and as intended apart from the shutdown.

As i understand it essentials includes 25 licenses we currently only have 14 users. Actually whilst we are on that subject, I was looking at what we do when we hit 25, Im reading that we have to buy Server 2012 standard and do in place license change, and then we have to buy cals. So does this mean we have to then buy 25cals to keep current users and then buy more on top? or does the upgrade from essentials include 25 licenses when you switch? MS's documentation is anything but clear.

Thanks for any help in advance.

September 5th, 2013 4:54pm

Hello,

the documentation is complete clear with Windows server essentials. Not more then 25 users are allowed the Essential DC MUST have the FSMO roles and NO trusts to other domains are allowed, so is that the case in your domain?

How many DCs in total do you have and how are they connected?

How many users and computers do you have in total?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2013 5:34pm

Hi,

As per my post,

we have 14 users at present and this is the only domain controller

As far as the FSMO roles is there a particular location I can verify this?

My understanding was that the server was set up with a standard/basic domain configuration nothing fancy, but it is always possible that something was missed by the previous IT manager during setup.

Thanks

September 10th, 2013 3:02pm

I have been playing around with a few things, no specific posts seemed to point to what I was trying to fix but a few suggested problems connecting to servers or other servers (not that there are any in my case)

but I was getting some dns related errors for a secondary dns server that was set up, but it looks like it was not required anyway. This has now been removed and the server now only has its own IP as dns server, and have double checked the forwarders etc.

The errors seem to be every few hours so have made a note to check again later when it normally comes up to see if this has any effect either way on the problem. I will post back either way.

September 12th, 2013 11:31am

The DNS errors/fixes did not have any effect on this problem.

Anybody got any other things i can check?

I checked the operations masters and everything else i can think of off top of my head and the server is the only server we have and is not over licenses. really stumped

September 12th, 2013 3:09pm

You can check the FSMO roles in multiple ways. 

Simplest way: Open a cmd box (elevated) and enter: netdom query fsmo.

Also see: http://myexchangelink.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/how-to-find-which-server-is-holding-fsmo-roles/

Maybe something has gone wrong in migrating to this server? 

September 12th, 2013 7:55pm

Hi Thanks for your tip,

I tried all of the linked tips, with the exception of replmon which isnt on this server all all check out fine and show this server tyche.hlaw.local which is correct.

There wasn't any migration as far as I am aware.

There was no server to start with, this was set up fresh as a new simple domain single server setup.

Thanks

September 13th, 2013 1:49pm

Does anyone have any more advice on this error is still happening?

As per my previous posts, single server only less than 25 users. never been migrated was a new domain.Im stumped as to what to check next.

In terms of compliance check, would the presence of ANY other server on network cause a problem? I have a monitoring machine, which is not part of domain or hosting any domain services only a web server service. These errors we happening long before the existence of my monitoring box.

Thanks

November 28th, 2013 3:51pm

Can you post an IPCONFIG /ALL from the server please?

Also post the result of:

netdom query fsmo

and

DCDIAG /a /v

You will probably need to upload to skydrive as the DCDiag may be big.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731968.aspx (you can output to a log file if need be)

November 28th, 2013 4:09pm

Hi Robert,

All 3 uploaded as .txt here http://sdrv.ms/1cazDhb

Noticed the DFS errors showing in the dcdiag, this is something new since last time i ran dcdiag which ran "ok" as far as I could see. Problem seems to have been happening since server was installed a few months before I started here. Interestingly it seems sometimes after a reboot it will work for a while, and then fail and post these errors 2 or 3 times a day (on rotating schedule of check i guess).

Thanks

Ben

November 28th, 2013 5:34pm

i looked at the files you uploaded, you will have to re-run the dcdiag command... and 
paste the output of the following command;

netdom query dc

this time when you run that, right click command prompt and select Run as Administrator...

and before you gather the files using dcdiag, run the following command;

wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrVolumeConfig where volumeGuid="6147CF59-A364-11E2-93EE-806E6F6E6963" call ResumeReplication

Ensure that whenever you run any command open command prompt after selecting Run as administrator.

• Edited by mands Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:23 PM
November 28th, 2013 7:06pm

thanks, will run that again, and stupid of me not to remember the run as administrator sorry UAC is off on this station so not in the habit.

Uploaded new netdom2.txt and dcdiag2.txt here http://sdrv.ms/1iZAc0m

Thanks

Ben

November 29th, 2013 9:47am

I looked at the log files and do not see anything unusual.

Please follow the following article to gather the system and application event logs and share them;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949390

November 29th, 2013 4:43pm

Hi

Application Log and system log for last 7 days (to save massive files)

http://sdrv.ms/1adQuLi

-

Its worth a mention at this point that the error hasn't reoccurred since last reboot yesterday morning. This happened once or twice that the error does not happen for a few days then randomly starts again. I will monitor over the weekend and post back if it does return in the mean time. Reboot was to complete this weeks windows updates. Again server has been regularly updated and rebooted from time to time with the error persisting. So there may be a chance some kind of recent update stopped it , but wither way will keep monitoring over weekend.

November 29th, 2013 5:20pm

i am sorry for not updating you earlier..
please share msinfo32 also...

and one of the things i think could be causing the issues are your printers.
how many of them are there ?

in specific investigate this one !!ads-2008c!
November 29th, 2013 10:05pm

msinfo at -> http://sdrv.ms/18a94aA

as far as that printer the name doesn't look familiar will look into that.

There are 3 laserjets in use and shared via this server. There are 3 or 4 other network printers elsewhere on lan but not involved in this domain or users.

I know I usually get errors in log when I remote desktop in but that's normally because the server doesn't have the drivers for some of the printers I have installed on laptop.

-

Going back to original error it appeared after its period of running checks without a problem it then happened again.I will track back in logs the first time it happened again and then take another log sample and see if I can spot any clues.

Thanks

December 2nd, 2013 9:41am

Possible breakthrough!

Reading the logs the printer appears to belong to our database supplier/tech support as it mentions another domain eclipselegal.local in the fqdn in error log. They connect to us via a vpn connection to our router for support. I'm now beginning to think the router is passing domain traffic between the sites and finding their network with other domain controllers etc which is then fouling the license check.

Does this sound plausible? Their network is on different ip range and a different domain name, would this still apply and foul the license check?

and forward of this, are there any ports I can block which would nip this in the bud whilst still allowing normal vpn traffic. Their main use of VPN is RDP/VNC and occasionally some file transfer.

Thanks

December 2nd, 2013 9:59am

further checking this morning may mean this isnt the cause, as since a reboot this morning two checks have been fine and the connection with the other site is currently live.

Memory upgrade going in tomorrow morning, will be interesting to see if this helps.

thanks

December 2nd, 2013 11:49am

Hi All,

Further checks again this morning, with about 24 hours fine the error reoccured. We are now up to fully up to date with updates, and with ram upgraded from 4gb to 20gb - so the memory theory is out the window where it mentions storage space. Similarly plenty of hdd left. too.

Any Joy with the logs?

December 5th, 2013 3:00pm

additional update, vpn is already filtered at other end so that option is out of the window now. Really stumped unless you guys manage to spot something I missed in the logs.

Thanks

Ben

December 6th, 2013 9:52am

Are you able to share the Directory Services and DFS log please?

Also can you run this command,

Get-ADComputer -Filter * | Select Name

Do you recognise all the names - are there any that should not be there?

Do you know if this was a migration or a clean install?

If you go to,

HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows Server>Setup

there should be a key named 'MigrationMode' is that True or False.

There is also a 'results file' which you could share!

December 6th, 2013 10:24am

Hi sorry for slow response didnt get a notification of reply.

Ran first command, returned list of server and then our desktops which are a mixture of XP and windows 7 machines. Nothing unexpected or unrecognized.

Server was new in around march/april time and was set up by my predecessor so should have been a clean install there was no previous server.

Migration mode is false.

results file http://sdrv.ms/1cyBZTG

thanks

December 17th, 2013 2:24pm

Dumb question, but the Essentials setup was completed?  As in you have a dashboard that shows for example client computer backups

December 17th, 2013 2:59pm

As far as I can see yes, It was before I started but the dashboard is on and appears to be fully functional. Have nothing to suggest it was unfinished or failed in any way.
December 18th, 2013 4:34pm

Has anyone resolved this or figured out a solution?  I'm getting the exact same error with a customer.  Complaining about not enough storage and there is plenty of storage!

Event ID 7

The automatic correction of a noncompliant FSMO role condition was not successful because error 0x80070008 occurred in function f4 [MICJ].  Not enough storage is available to process this command.  Make sure that your DNS server can be contacted and the following services are running: Active Directory Domain Services (NTDS), DNS Server (DNS), Kerberos Key Distribution Center (KDC).  This server will be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected.

I'm basically getting all of the exact same errors as the dude above.  Any help greatly appreciated!

July 19th, 2014 7:13pm

I too have a server that shuts down monthly due to the Server Infrastructure Licensing check erroneously failing.

Date:          8/1/2014 6:38:44 PM
Event ID:      50
Keywords:     
Computer:     
Description:
Root domain check did not pass because error 0x80070008 occurred in function f1980 [EURR].
Not enough storage is available to

process this command.

Make sure that the domain that this computer is joined is reachable. This server will automatically shut down if the issue

cannot be corrected.

Date:          8/1/2014 6:38:44 PM
Event ID:      2
Keywords:     
Computer:     
Description:
The Forest Trust Check in the Licensing component did not pass because error 0x80070008 occurred in function fe1 [YJBI].
Not

enough storage is available to process this command.

Make sure that each primary domain controller in your Active Directory forest can be contacted and the following services

are running on it: Active Directory Domain Services (NTDS), DNS Server (DNS) and Kerberos Key Distribution Center (KDC).

This server will be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected.

I've verified that this server holds the fsmo roles, and that DNS is properly configured. It's the only server in a three workstation environment. They have 800GB of free space. I basically have the identical problem as the poster. It's bothering me that when a MS service fails, the servers reliability is put into jeopardy. MS we've paid you. Please fix this.
August 4th, 2014 7:30pm

They can't fix it if you don't open a support case and I've honestly not seen this before.  is your antivirus scanning the location of the AD as that error message hints to me that something is keeping your AD from writing to a spot it wants to write to. 

do you have a/v installed and is it tweaked to go around the key component of DNS?

August 4th, 2014 11:30pm

Also how many nics do you have and is only one active?
August 4th, 2014 11:31pm

Thanks for the reply Susan! The server has two NICS, but one is disabled as it wasn't physically cabled. There is no AV on the server. I guess the next step is to open a case with Microsoft? I'm wary of having to pay for that.
August 5th, 2014 5:46am

I've escalated this to Microsoft support, after 3 days of troubleshooting they've changed my DNS from 127.0.0.1 to the server IP, add 8.8.8.8 for secondary DNS and change the system page file from system managed to 1.5x the amount of memory (16gb) in the server.  They are asking that I reboot the server at this point, in which the issue will most likely go away for the time being.  I will have to wait and see if it comes back again in several months like usual.

Dave

August 18th, 2014 7:27pm

Mr Cook, it sounds like the level 1 tech from Microsoft is giving you the run-around. Is this still a problem for you? If so, have you escalated it already? If not a problem, were there more changes made to your server than you previously posted?
  • Edited by Dave_Fassett Tuesday, September 09, 2014 9:16 PM
September 9th, 2014 9:13pm

Hi Dave,

I finally was escalated, the tech determined the problem to be a "heap exhaustion" memory issue, somehow tied to the print spooler but due to a 3rd party driver or software...  restarting the print spooler made the issue go away (the same as rebooting the server) but we were never able to pin-point what was causing the heap exhaustion.  Apparently there are tools/methods to see what is causing the heap exhaustion but I've never hear back.  I'll keep you posted on any status updates as I'm re-opening the case since the server went down again.

November 7th, 2014 9:58pm

Hi Mr Cook,

what happened after you re-opened the case? Any resolution?

August 11th, 2015 2:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics