Server IP
generally , server must have a static ip address or can be allocate by DHCP , i have created RAS Server , but this server can's ping any server or client , when i ping from this server says ( General Failure ) 4 times , the RAS server have ip Static after i do this one more but with DHCP , the network say (domain name Unauthorized ) ..... i thought it's problem by firewall , firewall prevent any income or outcome connections and i thought it's maybe need a IPsec to authorized this server , but it no vain , can anyone help me ?????
September 6th, 2012 10:26am

Hi Yassine, How your DNS is configured? Whether the server is multihomed? Multihomed DC's always create DNS issues. And also have a look at ACE's article. Multihomed DCs with DNS, RRAS, and/or PPPoE adapters http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/17/multihomed-dcs-with-dns-rras-and-or-pppoe-adapters.aspx Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2012 10:39am

Hi Yassine, As per Rafic's response, some information on how the DNS is configured would be useful. If the server is an active domain controller, it is common practice to designate it a Static IP (Some issue a static address via DHCP, this is acceptable also). Next you need to address your DNS. When thinking of a network, you must think structurally. The first and foremost part of your network is the Switch, if it has an IP (managed) or if its dumb (un-managed) So if the switch has an IP, that is the start of your structure, Give it an IP, lets say 10.0.0.254 (250 - 254 leaves a IP block for 4connectivity devices modems etc) If you have a broadband router, firewall appliance etc, give them the remaining IP's (250-253) Next you have a server, the server should have a static IP (especially if an active DC) lets say 10.0.0.250 At this point the Server should be able to ping the switch along with your internet gateway (Router or firewall appliance) Now that the server basic connectivity is set up, the next step is to set the DNS and DHCP services - You have several options here, some use the connectivity gateway (router or firewall) while others use the Server Domain controller. To put it simply, if you are using server as a DC, then run your DNS/DHCP from the server. I will assume for this example you have an active domain controller and we will use the server for DNS/DHCP Very important, ensure that there is no other DHCP/DNS services running on your network (check your routers/firewall units as these commonly have DHCP/DNS enabled by default - if so, disable them) Open your server management console and ensure the DHCP and DNS roles are installed (DNS will be installed by default if using active directory) Launch the DNS management application and ensure that your domain controller domain is entered with the corresponding static IP (10.0.0.250) In addition you may wish to enter other DNS settings for your ISP, and other internal applications (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814591) Launch the DHCP management console and set up appropriately - (http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/dhcp_server_windows_2003.html) MAKE SURE THAT THE DEFAULT DNS SET IN THE DHCP SERVER IS 10.0.0.250 (the server IP) - The DHCP needs to issue the server IP as the DNS address to ensure that all clients look up the server for the DNS records. Once the DHCP and DNS roles are properly configured, reboot the server When server is started up, you can begin connecting your clients to the switch and they should begin the DHCP process and in turn be assigned an IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS. As for the RAS server, again depending on your environment will depend on how this will be configured. If you are using the server for RAS (which I suspect you are) then you need to place a rule in your internet router or firewall appliance to port forward all relevant ports to the server IP (10.0.0.250) I find a very simplistic way out of this, in the event you do not have a firewall appliance, is to install an additional NIC in the server and use the router/modem in passive mode, and use the server to sign on over PPoE. Please feel free to explain your environment a little better and I can customise my reply to a more suited version for your environment. Best of luck! Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
September 6th, 2012 8:26pm

Hi Yassine, As per Rafic's response, some information on how the DNS is configured would be useful. If the server is an active domain controller, it is common practice to designate it a Static IP (Some issue a static address via DHCP, this is acceptable also). Next you need to address your DNS. When thinking of a network, you must think structurally. The first and foremost part of your network is the Switch, if it has an IP (managed) or if its dumb (un-managed) So if the switch has an IP, that is the start of your structure, Give it an IP, lets say 10.0.0.254 (250 - 254 leaves a IP block for 4connectivity devices modems etc) If you have a broadband router, firewall appliance etc, give them the remaining IP's (250-253) Next you have a server, the server should have a static IP (especially if an active DC) lets say 10.0.0.250 At this point the Server should be able to ping the switch along with your internet gateway (Router or firewall appliance) Now that the server basic connectivity is set up, the next step is to set the DNS and DHCP services - You have several options here, some use the connectivity gateway (router or firewall) while others use the Server Domain controller. To put it simply, if you are using server as a DC, then run your DNS/DHCP from the server. I will assume for this example you have an active domain controller and we will use the server for DNS/DHCP Very important, ensure that there is no other DHCP/DNS services running on your network (check your routers/firewall units as these commonly have DHCP/DNS enabled by default - if so, disable them) Open your server management console and ensure the DHCP and DNS roles are installed (DNS will be installed by default if using active directory) Launch the DNS management application and ensure that your domain controller domain is entered with the corresponding static IP (10.0.0.250) In addition you may wish to enter other DNS settings for your ISP, and other internal applications (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814591) Launch the DHCP management console and set up appropriately - (http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/dhcp_server_windows_2003.html) MAKE SURE THAT THE DEFAULT DNS SET IN THE DHCP SERVER IS 10.0.0.250 (the server IP) - The DHCP needs to issue the server IP as the DNS address to ensure that all clients look up the server for the DNS records. Once the DHCP and DNS roles are properly configured, reboot the server When server is started up, you can begin connecting your clients to the switch and they should begin the DHCP process and in turn be assigned an IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS. As for the RAS server, again depending on your environment will depend on how this will be configured. If you are using the server for RAS (which I suspect you are) then you need to place a rule in your internet router or firewall appliance to port forward all relevant ports to the server IP (10.0.0.250) I find a very simplistic way out of this, in the event you do not have a firewall appliance, is to install an additional NIC in the server and use the router/modem in passive mode, and use the server to sign on over PPoE. Please feel free to explain your environment a little better and I can customise my reply to a more suited version for your environment. Best of luck! Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2012 8:33pm

Check this how to create RRAS thread. For RRAS queries, post here. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/threads Thanks
September 8th, 2012 8:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics