Server Hangs on Shutdown: Any Suggestions to Troubleshoot?
A server hangs when shutting down. Will not timeout, even after four hours. Any suggestions? The server is: Winows Server 2008 (not R2), SP2, x64. Data Protection Manager 2007 installed. Did an in-place upgrade from DPM 2007-->DPM 2010 Two pre-reqs for installation were KB975759 & PowerShell 2.0 After the PowerShell (not the KB, ironically) reboot, the server now will not shutdown. I even manually successfully shutdown all DPM, VSS and SQL services before I execute the command. Nothing significant in the Event Viewer. Any ideas?
June 28th, 2010 6:45pm

Hi, Before we go further, please help confirm the following: 1. Do you mean the issue occurred after you installed the PowerShell on the server and tried to reboot it? 2. What is the current status of the server? Can you access the server? Do you see any message on the screen? Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2010 6:10am

Correct. I installed PowerShell 2.0 and tried to reboot. The server comes up. Works fine. It just won't shutdown. When I attempt to reboot/shutdown, the screen displays "Shutting down..." and never shuts down.
June 30th, 2010 9:39pm

Hello Hmoll, There will be a few of possible cause that will result in the same issue. Please check the WindowsUpdate.log in C:\Windows. Since there are some issues with the installation of the hotfix >KB975759<, Please check the log files in [WINDIR]Temp\MSDPM*.LOG Best regards, HarryThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 30th, 2010 10:20pm

Hello Hmoll, The quickest way to determine root cause of the shutdown hang is to see what the threads are doing in the Winlogon Process and the Kernel. Can you setup the machine for a Complete Memory Dump and force the server to dump when the server is hung during the shutdown? Let me know when you get the dump and I’ll setup a Secure File Transfer Site location for the upload. (1) First configure the server to capture a Complete Memory Dump. We need a complete dump to see both the Kernel and User Mode stacks. Most of these steps are a summary from (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972110) 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. Type control sysdm.cpl, and then click OK. 3. On the Advanced tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings. 4. In the Write debugging information list, click Complete memory dump or click Kernel memory dump, and then click OK. 5. Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box. 6. In the System Settings Change dialog box, click Yes if you want to restart your computer now. Click No if you want to restart your computer later. Other things to ensure a successful memory dump- * Ensure the Page File is located on the system drive. There are ways around this with DedicatedDumpFile but this adds another layer of complexity to these steps:) * The paging file on the boot volume must be sufficient to hold all the physical RAM plus 1 megabyte (MB). In other words, if you have 4 gigs of Physical RAM on the sever, the page file should be at least 4Gig + 1 MB. (2) Add the CrashOnCtrlScroll Registry key to enable a Crash on Demand option. If you’re not familiar with this option check the section (Generate a manual memory dump by using the keyboard) in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972110 (3) Next Reboot the system to have the changes take affect. (4) Reproduce the problem by attempting to shut down server. Please wait 5 minutes after the hang, then dump the machine using the CTRL+SCROLL LOCK+SCROLL LOCK keys. (5) Let me know when you have the Complete Memory dump and setup a FTP share for the upload. Ron Stock [MSFT] Microsoft Online Community Support
July 2nd, 2010 8:31pm

...It's important to wait about 5 minutes after it's hung, then snap the dump. This will allow me to see where the high wait times (tick counts) are accumulating. Thanks again, Ron Stock [MSFT] Microsoft Online Community Support
July 2nd, 2010 8:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics