Server Core: Sharing folders/files
Hi I have a question. Since I am only using command-line user interface, I know this question seems to direct toward multiple WinNT-based operating systems such as Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and Vista, including Windows Server 2008. I have files in my D:\ drive that I wanted it accessed in more than one computer, so what is the equavelant to going into My Computer, right-clicking in the drive or folder that I want, click Share, and then type in a name to be shared?
September 26th, 2007 7:12am

Hi Grayson, you can use Nfsshare command-line nfsshare <ShareName>=<Drive: Path> http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/47a23a74-e13c-46de-8d30-ad0afb1eaffc1033.mspx?mfr=true
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 26th, 2007 12:36pm

Ah! Now that is the command I'm looking for! Thanks! I'm enjoying getting into habit of using a command-line user interface!
September 26th, 2007 1:50pm

Okay. I do have a problem. I am using Windows XP Home (computer name: GRAYSONWINXP)for accessing the server (computer name: HANETSC). I've tried entering a command like... nfsshare BStorage=D: and even though it's successful, I tried to look in my list of shared folders in HANETSC and nothing is there. I've enabled file sharing in Windows XP. In GRAYSONWINXP, I have one shared folder, which is "downloads," so in HANETSC (Server Core), I tried entering \\GRAYSONWINXP\downloads\ but the command-line interface said the network path is not found. I tried SharedDocs but same problem.
September 26th, 2007 9:13pm

try to check firewall configuration in both computers, or at least to try ping each computer from the other one to ensure that there is aconnection between both of them.
September 26th, 2007 9:57pm

OK. I did some research and I found that a correct command for sharing files and folders is this: net share sharename=drive: path (space is in place because of emoticons) And it worked, while nfsshare doesn't for me.
September 27th, 2007 5:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics