Server Blue Screen - How to Diagnose
I've had a 2008 server blue screen. In the aftermath, I need to diagnose the cause. The application and system logs have gaps when the event happened and no indicator of what the cause might have been. 2 days before I did connect an external USB drive (since disconnected) and I suspect that may have caused a problem. But I don't know where to look for evidence. Where can I look for indicators in server2008 for what might have happened/caused the issue? Also, how/what can I setup so that I capture data/evidence going forward?BeenieWeenie
January 26th, 2011 8:53am

Hello, normally when a bluescreen occur there should be an entry in the event viewer. What about the error code, did you write it down? This is always a starting point. You should also configure the server to create at least a minidump file. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263 http://www.theexperienceblog.com/technical-articles/troubleshooting-and-analyzing-blue-screens-of-death/Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 26th, 2011 1:11pm

Hi, When/Where did the blue screen occur? Please take a picture of the blue screen. Generally, to solid troubleshoot the blue screen prolem, please take Meinolf Weber’s suggestion to collect the minidump file and contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for debugging the source file. Basically, you could try some common troubleshooting firstly: 1. Perform a Clean Boot to see if the blue screen occurs. 2. Update device drivers. 3. Get the latest updates to install. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 27th, 2011 12:54am

Thanks Meinolf and Dale. I had a co-worker reboot the server as I was not on site, so I don't have the screen detail. I should have had him take a photo with his cell phone at least. The server botted cleanly and is back in production. I know exactly when it went down, but nothing in the event viewer. I'll make sure I'm prepared to capture data if it happens again. I'm 85% sure it was the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB external drive I had connected to the device. Some type of device driver conflict perhaps. I'll also check on the Seagate site to see if there is a known issue with WindowsServer2008.BeenieWeenie
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2011 11:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics