Server Activation for Volume Licensing
We have a volume license for Server 2008 in our organization.I have installed Server 2008 on several boxes now and have begin running Windows Updates.All normal prereqs for server installation have been configured (ex: static ip, joining domain, setting admin credentials, etc.)I cannot activate these servers, however. I am told I have a few days left to activate, but activation is failing with two messages (First message is summary, second is detail)Summary:Window Activation ErrorA problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error Code 0xC004F042.For a possible resolution, click "More Information".Detail (More Information):The following inforamtion was found for this error:Code:0xC004F042Description:The Software Licensing Service determined that the specified Key Management Service (KMS) cannot be used.What gives?
March 9th, 2009 8:51pm

change/re'enter the product key, via "system"ive had this problem with a few VL operating systems
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 9th, 2009 10:04pm

Hi The error code 0xC004F042 indicates that there is a mismatch between the KMS client and the KMS host. Please verify that a KMS host is not trying to activate a client that is running a beta operating system or that you are not trying to activate a client by using a KMS host that is running a beta operating system.This error code can also occur if you enter an incorrect KMS key for your KMS host.The following table lists hosting capabilities for KMS keys associated with each product group. Volume Product Group KMS Key KMS can be hosted on Windows product editions activated by this KMS Vista VL KMS Windows Vista KMS for Windows Server 2003 Windows Vista Business* Windows Vista Enterprise* Server Group A KMS_A Windows Web Server 2008 KMS for Windows Server 2003** Windows Web Server 2008 Vista VL* Server Group B KMS_B Windows Web Server 2008 Windows Server 2008 Standard Windows Server 2008 Enterprise KMS for Windows Server 2003** Windows Server 2008 Standard Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Server Group A Vista VL* Server Group C KMS_C Windows Web Server 2008 Windows Server 2008 Standard Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems KMS for Windows Server 2003** Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems Server Group B Server Group A Vista VL* Notes Retail installs of Windows Server 2008 can be converted to VL by changing the product key. * The Vista VL Product Group cannot be activated by beta test editions of Windows Server 2008. Upon release of Windows Server 2008, Vista VL clients are expected to be activated as shown above. ** KMS for Windows Server 2003 will need to be updated to KMS 1.1 before it can host Windows Server 2008 KMS keys. An update for KMS for Windows Server 2003 is planned to coincide with the release of Windows Server 2008. Note that the language versions of the server operating system and the KMS for Windows Server 2003 must match. For example, if you would like to activate Windows Server 2008 Standard clients, you must use a KMS key for Server Group B or Server Group C. If you would like to activate Windows Server 2008 Datacenter clients, you must use a KMS key for Server Group C. Please verify the KMS key on your KMS host whether it supports your clients.Hope it helps.Tim Quan - MSFT
March 10th, 2009 5:20am

It turns out that we are not using KMS at all. It isn't setup.I am checking with our MSFT software vendor to ensure we should be using the Product Keys we have...Thanks all.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 10th, 2009 6:45pm

Hello,I would like to include the following info to help identify the KMS host machine and what key it's running.From the client getting the error message open an elevated CMD prompt.then run slmgr -dlvLook for the line starting withKMS machine name from DNS:That shows the KMS host machine the client is attempting to contact.Now on the KMS host machine,open an elevated CMD prompt and run slmgr -dlvWhat is on theDescription: line?That should show which KMS host key is installed as per the table that Tim posted.Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
March 11th, 2009 4:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics