Server 2012 intranet problems

I am working on the configuration of an intranet with one server 2012 DC and thus far one 2012 server core.  The DC recognizes the core server, but the core server doesn't allow transfer of a remote login from an external computer at the same location. As I adjusted various settings, I noticed that on the server core machine the domain admin and domain users were not available. The authentication of an admin on the intranet is only valid for each server and my boss wants to remote logon once to any server and be able to look at all servers without entering a password for each one.  The DC lists the core server on the network, but authentication is not universal on just one small network.

Please advise me what settings I should try to change to enable single sign-on for all servers.

Thank you!

June 30th, 2015 7:48pm

Please post an unedited ipconfig /all of both.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2015 9:00pm

Hi JD,

As far as I know, it can't be achieved.

As a workaround, we could save the username and password when using mstsc.exe to connect the server. Then we could connect without entering username and password next time.

For domain accounts to log on the server, we need to join the server to domain. Then we could use domain user or admin accounts to log on.

Best Regards,

Leo

July 2nd, 2015 3:25am

What do you mean when you say "The DC recognizes the core server"?  Is the core server joined to the domain represented by the DC.  If you have configured an Active Directory environment, and all computers are joined to the domain, then a user who logs into the domain would have access to any resource in the domain that the user's credentials allow.  No need to log into additional servers.

I think the difference in the various answers you have received is because you need to provide a clearer description of your environment.

July 2nd, 2015 12:46pm

This core server is on the intranet and has a DHCP address, assigned by the DC, which has a static IP.  My boss is attempting to logon to the DC and check the core server without needing to separately supply a password for the core server. 

I did not install the initial server OS's, I'm just configuring them.  I assumed that the DC recognizing the added core server, a domainadmin would be able to access any server it lists on the intranet, but when looking at server manager while sitting at the core server it doesn't list any other servers on the intranet that the DC does list.

The game plan is to over time include additional 2012 Essential Servers and hopefully manage Linux servers as well with the Windows DC, but at this point I need to make this server functional with only one logon. 

My thoughts have been that the core server was not added as a member server when it was installed or possibly that the installer did not initially configure it as part of a workgroup then join it to the domain, but I don't know since someone else installed them.

In addition, the domainadmin account is not listed on the server core under users.  I believe the installer created the boss's account a second time so he'd have remote access to the core server.

Please help.

July 2nd, 2015 4:37pm

The DC has a static IP and the core server received an address through DHCP from the DC. I did not perform the initial installation, so I'm not sure whether the private address actually came from the DC or the router itself.

I apologize for bothering you about this, but I'm fresh out of school and my training was for starting from the beginning installation without much practice on 2008 server core.

July 2nd, 2015 4:44pm

Please post the requested unedited ipconfig /all of both servers

July 2nd, 2015 4:47pm

I did not do the original installation, but it's part of the intranet domain setup.  The server is visible on the DC in the list of servers and computers in the domain, but in server manager on the core server, there is nothing listed except the core server as part of the network. 

I hope that explains things better, my other posts give more details about the situation that you may need for reference.

July 2nd, 2015 4:54pm

I did have another thought, maybe it should be set up for DirectAccess, though I didn't see that option on server core, only saw Remote Desktop. 
July 2nd, 2015 5:00pm

This core server is on the intranet and has a DHCP address, assigned by the DC, which has a static IP.  My boss is attempting to logon to the DC and check the core server without needing to separately supply a password for the core server. 

I did not install the initial server OS's, I'm just configuring them.  I assumed that the DC recognizing the added core server, a domainadmin would be able to access any server it lists on the intranet, but when looking at server manager while sitting at the core server it doesn't list any other servers on the intranet that the DC does list.

The game plan is to over time include additional 2012 Essential Servers and hopefully manage Linux servers as well with the Windows DC, but at this point I need to make this server functional with only one logon. 

My thoughts have been that the core server was not added as a member server when it was installed or possibly that the installer did not initially configure it as part of a workgroup then join it to the domain, but I don't know since someone else installed them.

In addition, the domainadmin account is not listed on the server core under users.  I believe the installer created the boss's account a second time so he'd have remote access to the core server.

Please help.

July 2nd, 2015 8:27pm

Please help.

July 2nd, 2015 8:27pm

Just as an update, I don't know what happened, but now I can't get on the internet on the core server.  I attempted to change the settings for the ipconfig to be static and don't know why, but now it won't connect with the router.  I attempted to bypass the switch it was connected to and that didn't work.  I've now made the problem worse and was told that a network pro will be fixing the connection problems. 

I am curious about if I use the installation disk and repair the installation, could that get me at least internet connectivity?

Hopefully I'll have an epiphany over the holiday weekend or someone will enlighten me about what to try next to make this work. 

July 3rd, 2015 9:00pm

We can only guess from here. The requested unedited ipconfig /all of both servers may help.  

July 4th, 2015 12:45pm

I don't know if this helps, but the DC has the addressing of 192.168.1.104, 255.255.255.0, DG is 192.168.1.1 which is a static address and I was told that the address for the server core is static as well and saw 192.168.1.106 with the same net mask and DG.  These are obviously private addresses and the router has the external addressing for the internet.  Whatever I did to the server core, I can't get on the internet nor remotely logon anymore.  The DC is still functioning normal with internet capability and remote logons. 

Although I changed something I shouldn't have, I am curious as to why my boss needs to access the DC with a password from his Window's 8 machine in the office across the hall.  Being logged on as an admin on one PC should let him access the DC on the same intranet without repeating the logon process.  I don't believe the person that installed the DC properly created the intranet and unlike the server core, network discovery is on and stays that way, unlike the server core (which doesn't make sense to me why it unchecks it after I try saving it with network discovery on).

I greatly appreciate any thoughts on this situation, especially since right now nobody can access the core server remotely or access the internet on that server.

July 4th, 2015 10:49pm

Make sure that your DC has only one network interface enabled and one IP address in use. DCs network connection properties should point to its own private IP address as primary DNS server and 127.0.0.1 as secondary (assumes single DC). Put public ISP DNS servers set as forwarders only (if applicable).

On the client computer, make sure that it points to your DC as primary DNS server only and no public DNS server is configured in its network connection properties.

Client should have local DNS address ONLY so client can find and logon to domain. Forwarders are so clients can find and resolve internet queries.

July 5th, 2015 12:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics