Server 2012 WinSXS Folder is 13 gb and filling drive

Hello,

So I have a Windows Server 2012 with Exchange 2013 installed on it. It's part of a domain with 6 other servers. All but one is Server 2012. They have 2 DC's, 1 File, 1 SQL, one TS, and a proprietary server for one of their applications. The SQL is the only one not 2012, it's 2008 R2. The File server is also used to managed WSUS.

Anyway, over the last several months the WinSXS folder has be getting larger and larger on the C drive of the Exchange server. They're down to under 7 gb on the drive, and the WinSXS as I mentioned in the title is at about 13 gb right now. There is basically nothing but the required Windows files on the drive, everything else is stored on a separate partition. I have done a ton of reading, and find a lot of mixed suggestions, but generally it seems like everyone agrees it's a bad idea to delete anything from this folder. 

I'm hoping maybe someone hear can give me a better answer, or some way to shrink the folder up at least. The only thing I've been able to do so far is occasionaly a Disk Cleanup with free up a 1 or 2 gigs but nothing more than that. So any suggestions that won't just completely brick the server would be greatly appreciated. And Please let me know if you need anymore information.

February 12th, 2015 4:26pm

Yup,

it's a bad idea to delete anything from this folder.

You can increase your C: volume size.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 12th, 2015 4:28pm

Hi,

The only way to safely reduce the size of the WinSxS folder is to reduce the set of possible actions that the system can take the easiest way to do that is to remove the packages that installed the components in the first place.  

For more detailed information about WindSxS folder, please see:

What is the WINSXS directory in Windows 2008 and Windows Vista and why is it so large?
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large.aspx

Best Regards,

Mandy
February 25th, 2015 3:05am

Hi,

If you havent done this already, you can delete the "hiberfil.sys" 

Since this is a server, I doubt you will use the hibernate state for this machine.

You can disable hiberfil.sys like this:

1. open cmd (as an administrator)

2. write the following: powercfg -h off (then press enter)

You have now disabled hibernate mode, and probobly freed up alot of space. 

/e

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2015 3:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics