Server 2012 WSUS Post-deployment configuration fails

I completed all available Windows Updates and proceeded to add the WSUS role on Server 2012R2.  I chose the default WID database and the role addition was seemingly successful.  Unfortunately, the Post-deployment Configuration failed.  A log file had been created in the AppData\Local\Temp folder but at initial glance it seemed to imply that my error was likely due to skipping a step during installation via PowerShell, however, I didn't install using PowerShell.

Upon closer inspection the specifics of my error were right there for me, I just had to look at it long enough to decipher the details.  What I now read is that Post-deployment configuration finds a file called UpdateServices-Services.xml (I found it in Windows\System32\ServerManager\ComponentConfiguration\). 

It determines that ContentLocal=True which correctly indicates that my updates are to be stored locally.  It proceeds to inquire about the ContentDirectory, but comes back without a value. 

Here are my UpdateServices-Services.xml file contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><INSTANCE CLASSNAME="ServerComponent_UpdateServices_Services"><PROPERTY NAME="ContentDirectory" TYPE="string"></PROPERTY><PROPERTY NAME="ContentLocal" TYPE="boolean"><VALUE>true</VALUE></PROPERTY></INSTANCE>

I can see that the ContentLocal property did indeed have the value true, but the ContentDirectory property did not have a value.  I now needed to figure out if a String value could be specified in the same way a Boolean value was, or if it needed quotes around it, or was supposed to be specified more like an attribute (learned about that somewhere along the way). 

My UpdateServices-Services.xml now looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><INSTANCE CLASSNAME="ServerComponent_UpdateServices_Services"><PROPERTY NAME="ContentDirectory" TYPE="string"><VALUE>C:\LocalMSUpdateCache</VALUE></PROPERTY><PROPERTY NAME="ContentLocal" TYPE="boolean"><VALUE>true</VALUE></PROPERTY></INSTANCE>

Now when I launch Post Installation Tasks it takes a little longer to fail and this is the log generated:

2015-02-06 10:40:50  Postinstall started
2015-02-06 10:40:50  Detected role services: UI, WidDatabase, Services
2015-02-06 10:40:50  Start: LoadSettingsFromXml
2015-02-06 10:40:50  Start: GetConfigValue with filename=UpdateServices-Services.xml item=ContentLocal
2015-02-06 10:40:50  System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.UtilConstants' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.InvalidDataException: Invalid installation directory
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.SetupInfo.GetInstallDirectory()
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.UtilConstants..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.GetConfigValue(String filename, String item)
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.LoadSettingsFromXml()
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Initalize(Parameters parameters)
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

I am at a lost.  Please help and thanks in advance!!

February 12th, 2015 4:31pm

Hi,

According to the log, this issue is caused by that the post-install script can't get the ContentLocal property.

Please try to rename the file with name UpdateServices-Services.xml.old. Then run the post-install again.

If issue persists, please try to remove the WSUS role and WID, delete the Database file, then reinstall the WSUS again.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 14th, 2015 10:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics