Server 2012 R2 Unable to change password

Whenever a non admin user tries to change their password (not expired) on the RDS server they get an error: Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain.

I have temporarily set password policy to:

minimum password age is 0

minimum length is 8

password history is 1

Complexity requirement is turned off

(as confirmed with net accounts)

NLA requirement turned off

Tried passwords like: eDcfRg4%N$

Still getting error.  Can anyone help?

July 27th, 2015 6:43pm

Hi Brian,

Whenever a non admin user tries to change their password (not expired) on the RDS server they get an error: Unable to update the password.

Does the issue happen to all users or only one specific user?

Is the user changing password within internal or external network?

If its internal network, I suggest you ask this user to change password on a workstation locally to see whether it works.

If its external network with RD Web Access deployed, you may ask this user to change password via RD Web Access webpage.

Enabling the RD WebAccess Expired password reset option in Windows Server 2012

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10755.enabling-the-rd-webaccess-expired-password-reset-option-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

If the issue persists, I would suggest you reset its password as Domain Admin.

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2015 9:50am

Hi Amy,

This happens for any non admin user. I can change the password using any non-RDS computer, but this doesn't work so well for the 80 or so remote users.  Logging into the console of the RDS computer give the same error as does RD WebAccess, unable to change password as it does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements. 

Thanks,

Brian

July 28th, 2015 8:42pm

Hi Amy,

This happens for any non admin user. I can change the password using any non-RDS computer, but this doesn't work so well for the 80 or so remote users.  Logging into the console of the RDS computer give the same error as does RD WebAccess, unable to change password as it does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements. 

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Seems like an abnormal issue to me, please fully patch the terminal server to see whether the issue persists.

In addition, if there are any third party software installed, please disable them temporarily to test.

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 10th, 2015 10:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics