Server 2012 Essentials Firewall vs. Symantec Firewall

We work with several small networks where the server runs Windows 2012 Essentials as the operating system.  The primary business application is QuickBooks Enterprise.  We use Symantec Endpoint (Small Business Edition) 12.1 on the server for security software.

Given our situation, would you recommend that we use the Windows firewall that comes with Server 2012  Essentials or the Symantec firewall that is supplied with SEP?

T

May 29th, 2015 6:36pm

I recommend you use a business class firewall at the edge of the network, between the switch and the ISP device.  If you do this I don't see any reason to run either firewall on the Essentials server as you would only be protecting the server from internal users.  Having said that, use the one you are most comfortable managing as multi-level protection is better than just one no matter how good the edge firewall is.

But consumer level routers or ISP supplied "cable modem" routers and the like are not my first choice.  Whatever you have at the edge, please change the default password.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 7:29pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Larry. Do you have any specific product recommendations for an endpoint firewall device that is budget-appropriate for a small business? Frankly, I do have some concerns about internal network traffic as well. Some of the workstations on this network are laptops that are removed by users and taken on business trips, often to far-flung locations. If they get "infected" while traveling, they could pass the malware on to the server and other workstations upon return if the internal machine-to-macine connections are not monitored or filtered in any way (i.e., by an internal firewall).
May 30th, 2015 12:05pm

Hi John:

Don't know where you are in the world.  In the US at the low end probably NetGear ProSafe, up from there are Sonic Wall and WatchGuard, and after that the sky is the limit price wise.  I like Calyptix Access Enforcer, but they are more $.

May 31st, 2015 5:31pm

Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

You can refer this article as well: About Windows Firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection's NTP

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH97986

Best Regards,

Chetan

June 5th, 2015 3:20pm

Thanks for the reference article, Chetan. The SEP product in question is the unmanaged client. There is no SEPM component involved. So, I think that the steps to disable the Symantec firewall is different than what is covered in the article.
June 5th, 2015 9:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics