Server 2012 - The remote name could not resolve

Hello.  I am trying to get Windows Server Update Services on Server 2012 configured.  After the role is installed, during the configuration wizard, at the "Connect to Upstream Server" (where that is direct from Microsoft Update), the connection attempt fails with "An HTTP error occurred", "WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'fe1.update.microsoft.com'".  I can browse to this address just fine from IE on that server, that URL is in the trusted sites, there is no firewall on my local server running, and nothing that would otherwise block access to this URL.  I have no other WSUS installations on my network.

Any clue as to how to resolve this? - Thanks

September 20th, 2012 8:11pm

Hi

Was this WSUS role installed successfully?Could you sync with MU in the console?My guess would be sth breaking your connectivity.How about your DNS or the proxy setting?Is there any other service running?If possible,install the WSUS on clean machine to see whether it works.

Regards, Clarence TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 21st, 2012 1:11pm

Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

September 28th, 2012 8:43am

hi All,

I have faced the same issue, when changed my sccm site, MP and DP from HTTPS to http.

SUP was working fine in HTTPS mode.

now, i cross checked that Use a proxy server was unchecked in SUP Properties, so checked both options with credentials

and set proxy server in Site System as well.

and applied one hotfix as well

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2838998

November 7th, 2013 2:38pm

Now issue is resolved, sharing wsyncmgr.log snapshot

November 7th, 2013 2:39pm

Well i got this error to with a fresh install of SCCM 2012 R2 and Server 2012 R2 and WSUS.

What fixed it for me:

To check the permissions on the ApiRemoting30 virtual directory

1. On the WSUS server, open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.

2. Navigate to Internet Information Services <computernameWeb Sites \ <WSUS Web site> \ ApiRemoting30.

3. Right-click ApiRemoting30, and then click Permissions.

The adding of the Computer and Domain admin account will give an access denied but it does what it needs to do.

If you than do a sync from the SCCM admin center you will see the syn happen in:

Wsus console

the log viewer (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs name wsyncmgr

Open the ports on the firewall 8530 - 8531.

I hope this fixes it for you

January 17th, 2014 5:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics