Server 2012 'crashed' with no events in the log

Had a problem where a 2012 DC Host machine locked up.  It was still temporarily accepting RDP connections, but would disconnect them after about 20 seconds, and there was no desktop that was connected to.

All the Hyper-V guests were inaccessible and appeared to be off.

On the server console, there was also a blank screen.

After a hard power off, the system came right back up normally.

Event viewer doesn't show any errors at the time this occurred, except there was a message in the system log that the server shutdown at x:xx:xx was unexpected.  There are no warning or error events within 5 minutes prior to the time stated.  The server was also running for about a half hour after that time when it was accepting the previously noted RDP sessions, but no events were logging in any logs until it was hard reset.

Any thoughts or conversations about what may have happened would be welcomed.

June 25th, 2015 11:32pm

Hardware is my first thought. Is it an array and have you checked it's health? 

If you are at the server, listen to how the drives are running for 15 seconds. Listen for anything odd. With the crazy amount of architecture they build into drives to keep them running no matter what, they can drop dead with plenty of physical acoustical warning but zero testable warning. 

PEACE

• Edited by Talcum 2 hours 31 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2015 12:32am

I agree, I also thought hardware.  However it's an SSD RAID 5 - no noises.  It's a Dell server so I am currently looking into OpenManage for any anomalies, but the Virtual Disk is reporting a green check.  I was thinking maybe more toward memory, what do you think?
June 26th, 2015 12:37am

I presume the RAID is reporting healthy. Memory was my next thought. Is the server anything but a hyper-V host? 

Is it storming where the server is and what is the power condition? It really points to hardware when it was such a simple resolution with no record of the event.

PEACE

• Edited by Talcum 2 hours 14 minutes ago
June 26th, 2015 12:49am

Hi,

Try to look to dmp file from c:\Windows\Minidump\

It can be opened with tool WinDbg. (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852365)

June 26th, 2015 1:20am

If you are at the server, listen to how the drives are running for 15 seconds. Listen for anything odd. With the crazy amount of architecture they build into drives to keep them running no matter what, they can drop dead with plenty of physical acoustical warning but zero testable warning. 

PEACE

• Edited by Talcum Friday, June 26, 2015 4:30 AM
June 26th, 2015 4:28am

PEACE

• Edited by Talcum Friday, June 26, 2015 4:30 AM
June 26th, 2015 4:28am

I presume the RAID is reporting healthy. Memory was my next thought. Is the server anything but a hyper-V host? 

Is it storming where the server is and what is the power condition? It really points to hardware when it was such a simple resolution with no record of the event.

PEACE

• Edited by Talcum Friday, June 26, 2015 4:46 AM
June 26th, 2015 4:45am

PEACE

• Edited by Talcum Friday, June 26, 2015 4:46 AM
June 26th, 2015 4:45am

The Virtual Drive is reporting healthy.  No, only a host role.  The server is in a protected data center/colo so I don't believe the storms would have an effect.
June 26th, 2015 3:06pm

No dump files were present from when the event happened.
June 26th, 2015 3:07pm

Hi,

It looks like server didn't get blue screen and you wont find cause of failure.

Problem can be with motherboard, but I don't know any tests.

June 29th, 2015 1:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics