Server 2008 windows.old file
To Whom It May Concern: I have a Windows 2008 Server that I reinstalled that is now running Exchange 2007 on it. I didn’t notice on the new install, there is a windows.old folder that is about 30 Gb. Is it ok to delete the folder and if so how do I go about deleting it? I read several sights and people have had a hard time deleting it and they don’t say if it’s ok. Your help is appreciated. Thank you,
November 15th, 2010 4:50pm

I really dont want to reinstall it if i dont have to. Is it just that easy to rename and delete it? Will it cause any problems by deleting it? Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 15th, 2010 5:18pm

Installing windows again to the same partition causes a number of duplications to be created. It's a mess at best. Should be Ok, but always plan for the worst. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-folder I'd expect a sharing violation (or similar) if something is still being used. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 15th, 2010 5:27pm

Installing windows again to the same partition causes a number of duplications to be created. It's a mess at best. Should be Ok, but always plan for the worst. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-folder Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 15th, 2010 5:28pm

Thanks for the help Dave. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
November 15th, 2010 7:41pm

Ok, sounds good. Best of luck. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 15th, 2010 7:43pm

Hello, I would rename it again to something like windows.old2 and if nothing breaks or starts acting weird after a couple reboots then it's safe to delete it. CheersMiguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
November 15th, 2010 7:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics