Server 2008 upgrade from RC1 to release disabled - conflicting reasons why
What on earth is going on here? I'm upgrading an RC1 install on Windows Server 2008 to the RTM version, and I'm getting the following reasons why: Screenshot: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8279/upgradedisabledyy3.jpg I'm definitely running an x64 version, upgrading to an x64 version, both Full, no Server Core installs.
May 5th, 2008 6:22am

Hi, Firstly, I can confirm with you it's supported to upgrade from Windows Server2008 RC1 to the correspoding RTM edition. For further assistance, please help me collect the following information: 1. Setupact.log and Setuperr.log These files will be located in the $WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther folder or the Windows\Panther folder. In most cases, these folders are located on the partition that Windows Server2008 is being installed on or the partition that contains the old operating system. 2. What exact edition is your current system, Windows Server2008 Standard or Windows Server2008 Enterprise or others? What edition do you attempt to upgrade to? Please send log files to tfwst@microsoft.com. Note: a. Please include the following three lines for this issue in the email body: Server 2008 upgrade from RC1 to release disabled - conflicting reasons why http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3288110&SiteID=17 Morgan- MSFT b. We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails. c. Pease post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email. Thanks. Look forward to the reply.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2008 12:50pm

I'm away from the office this morning, so I'll send the email tonight - I am upgrading from a Windows Server 2008 Standard RC1 Eval Copy (downloaded from ms.com earlier this year) to Windows Server 2008 Standard RTM, from a DVD from my MAPS subscription.
May 5th, 2008 3:40pm

OK, I've sent the information you requested via email.
May 6th, 2008 4:10am

Hi Greg, From the log file setupact.log you provided, I notice the following entry: 2008-05-05 20:56:06, Info IBS InstallWindows: Setup architecture is [x86] This indicates the setup architecture is 32 bit instead of 64 bit. Please double check if you insert the X64 Setup image to perform upgrading process. =================== Morgan Che
May 6th, 2008 12:52pm

Hi, I have the same problem and my DVD label is "Windows Server 2008 Standard contains 32-bit and 64 bit software" Olivier
May 6th, 2008 2:24pm

The DVD from the Action Pack contains both 64-bit and 32-bit software, as the previous poster has said. Very early in the setup process, you are asked to choose between four choices: Server Core and Full Install, for either 32 or 64 bit. I chose 64-bit.
May 6th, 2008 3:39pm

Hi, This problem seems to be unusual. To isolate the root cause, if it is possible, please use other Windows server 2008 64bit setup image to see whether it works. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che
May 7th, 2008 10:51am

Bonjour, Do you know where I can find a 64 bit setup image that will work with my Product Key from MAPS?
May 7th, 2008 2:25pm

I am having the same problem. When I try to upgrade from RC1 to RTM, Windows Server 2008 Standard x64, it tells me the upgrade option is disabled because I must be running Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. I start up the install from within 2008 RC1. It also tells me I have to remove or rename the folder c:\ProgramData for the upgrade to continue.That last notice seems contradictory. If the upgrade option is disabled, why tell me to remove a folder for the upgrade to continue? Is that a mistake in the install script, and should it say I have to remove the folder for the install to continue?I have tried this with two different install images downloaded from Microsoft, with the same result. One is just the standard version, one combines three different versions in one ISO image. I am installing without a key for the trial period.I could not find setupact.log or setuperr.log for the aborted install. I have them only for the original RC1 install.
May 21st, 2008 11:23pm

We are seeing the exact same symptoms here as the origanal poster, with the exact same setup. Hasanyone found a solution yet? Ourtrial is going to expire, and we desperately need to upgrade toour MAPScopy.
May 27th, 2008 8:14pm

Same issue here.I am an Action Pack Subscriber and I was unable to install the 64bit version of 2008 from scratch as it refused to accept my storage drivers. In retrospect, it looked as though I was trying to use 32bit drivers with a 64 bit O/S or vice-versa.I was able to install 2003 64 bit with the same drivers fine. When I try to upgrade, I get the same error as above. I know I am running 64bit 2003 Server - I know I have 64 bit storage drivers and I know I cam selecting the 64bit 2008 Server option during the install. I woudl suggest there is a bug in the MAPs DVD????Anyone got any other ideas?Deepfat
June 4th, 2008 2:25am

We were finally able to "resolve" this issue by downloading the RTM version of the Windows 2008 64 bit demo from microsoft.com, and installing off of that media. It still accepted the MAPS key, allowed us to upgrade, and appears to be fully functional.
June 6th, 2008 7:48pm

I am having the same problem as others have described. I searched the DVD and found no occurrences of "X64" or 64 bit, leaading me to believe this DVD does not actually contain the 64 bit image.I am now downloading the 64 bit image from Tech Net, but I am concerned it will be an evaluation copy that will expire. I used the SLMGR.VBS tool on my Eval copy, and it returned the information that the evaluation version was permanently activated, which is obviously false since it expires on June 30, 08. I then used the -REARM switch to extend the Eval for another 30 days, and it completed successfully. However, at next login, the message advising that this edition would expire in x days (June 30) reappeared, indicating that SLMGR -rearm does not work as expected and does not return reliable information on the installation status.There must have been an oversight in the production of the MAPS DVD that failed to include the 64 bit image, at least on some of the media that has been distributed. I suspect the apparently small number of reports of this issue may be due to the small number of users running full 64-bit hardware/software platforms.I will post a followup after I attempt the installation with the new download image.
June 22nd, 2008 5:52pm

It seems the 32/64 DVD distribuited with MAPS contains a bug.I'm experiencing the same issue installing a new system from scratch.This is the KB from 3Ware (the raid controller producer I'm using): http://www.3ware.com/kb/article.aspx?id=15426
August 20th, 2009 2:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics