Server 2008 standard changes from static IP to DHCP on reboot
This has been an ongoing issue where when we have to reboot our production server, configured with a static IP, it changes over to DHCP and gets a different address. This in turn makes all of our software that point to it lose the connection and a fallout of connection related issues. HP ProLiant DL180 G5 Server I have updated the drivers for the NIC but not the firmware. We have another server with SBS 2008 that is the same model and has the same hardware. While this does not effect things on a daily basis, it presents a major issue anytime the server is reset and I would like to know for sure what the cause of this issue so that it can be resolved and I not have to worry about it happening.
November 2nd, 2011 3:26pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Have you installed any third party software that will probably overwrite the network settings that we set by using Windows GUI console ? like HP OEM network management software ? We may try the workaround that discussed in the KB article below to modify the registry keys to see how is going: The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box displays the default IP address settings after you manually configure a static IP address in Windows 2000 Server or in Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937056/en-us Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 3rd, 2011 6:03am

check weather that boot order of your server have network boot as a first boot device?Darshana Jayathilake
November 4th, 2011 2:47am

We do not have any third party software installed that would do this. One thing I noticed when digging around some more is that under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces there are listed a total of 6 keys. Four of these show an IPAddress for the static IP we assign for this server and two show an address that I don't recognize as ever being used on this server. For "EnableDHCP", all but one of these keys shows a value of 1 of which the one that shows 0 shows the static IP we use. Would it be advisable to uninstall the NIC and delete all 6 of these after backing up the registry and reboot the server to have it reinstall?
November 4th, 2011 8:48am

Hi, Thanks for update. Try to reset TCP/IP on server with following the workaround below and manually assign static address and reboot to see if the address will still go away ? How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en-us I know HP will install some kind of OEM networking management if we install OS with using HP smartstart CD, can you confirm that ? Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 7th, 2011 1:24am

Hello, I'm sorry about the delay in response. I haven't been in office these past few days due to illness. I will check for any HP software that might be present and try resetting TCP/IP. Thank you for your assistance! Justin.
November 11th, 2011 8:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics