Server 2008 showing it is running on battery power.....
I have a Windows Server 2008 Standard edition Sp1 x64 that believes it is running on battery power. In the status tray the icon is displaying a powercord and battery icon and when clicked on it is displaying/reading it is fully charged. Does anyone know how I would get the server to stop thinking it is running on batteries? If it makes a difference, I do have a APC UPS attached to the computer using a USB cable. I have the APC powerchute Business Edition basic running on it and successfully connected. Thanks in advance...Marcel
July 27th, 2010 7:52pm

Hello, sounds for me that this belongs to APC powerchute program settings.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2010 10:22pm

Yup I guess system tray icon was for the APC powershute application. I just was not sure since I shut down the powershute services and this battery status still remained afterwards. It was only when I performed a UPS Calibration did I really know that this battery status represented the UPS battery status. I just wanted to make sure the server was not running on battery power. I had a client who's server did report it was running on batteries and it effected Scheduled tasks from running and they possibly thought it was effecting performance of the server. This is the things I was trying to prevent. Thanks for your time... Marcel
July 28th, 2010 6:14pm

Hi all, Same symptoms for me : server SBS 2008 SP2, UPS is not APC (it is MGE Pulsar on USB cable), the status was "on battery" and Scheduled tasks affected (no backup...). I uninstall the PSP (personal solution pack from MGE/APC) because they don't run over SBS 2008, no detection of the UPS. Now the power icon isn't visible (and still greyed in the icon notification parameters), I don't have a solution the restore it. After a reboot, the server was OK, without power icon and Scheduled tasks is fully running. Any idea for the power icon ? I'm searching sinc 4 months, without success, no help from APC (MGE) ??? Thanks by advance, BenBenji
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2010 10:04am

This is perhaps partially the case... Have a look at this... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/10/22/setting-up-hyper-v-with-a-ups.aspx?PageIndex=2#comments Ben's Personal UPS Story section has the following comment. "I discovered that Windows had enabled standard power support – and was acting like my server was essentially a really big clunky laptop. I had a battery icon in the task bar that accurately reflected the amount of charge in my battery, and when I disconnected power from the UPS – Windows immediately knew about it. " All of this if fine until you attemp to install SP1 for Server 2008 R2 - NOTE; I have not installed any UPS Software, I simply plugged my UPS USB cable into my server Oh, right I can't post photos in a forum post... I will place it here: http://yfrog.com/kj4gjp basically you can't sp a server, because it wants you to plug in to make sure you have enough power... no over-ride... Grrr... I suppot PASS - www.SQLPASS.org
June 13th, 2011 1:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics