Server 2008 running kind of slow.
I have an annoying issue withe one of my 2008 sp1 servers. I am currently testing this machine as aadmin desktop/hyper-v server/SCVMM/utilities file server.The machine is a Supermicro X7DB3 w/3U SM 733 chassiswithdual E5430 procs 32GB 667 3ware 9690SA 8i. adaptec 4000SAS ZCR. When I press clt-alt-del it takes between 3 to 5 seconds for it to bring up the lock computer screen. Also I do not know if this is relatedbut when I start RDP it takes the same amount of time to connect to the other machine. I do not mean for it to logon but just to bring up the logon screen. I am pretty sure it started to do this around the time I enabled the Hyper-v role. I wonder if anyone could help me find use tools to help figure out what might be the problem.Steps I have taken to troubleshoot so far:Looked for errors in the event viewer. NoneTried Procmon (I am very new to using this tool) and it does not seem to have errors but I do not know totaly what to look for!! I did find that my Vipre enterprise agent was slowing down my file access but I turned the agent off and the file access problem went away but the other issues remained.All windows updates are installed for all microsoft products.Thanks in advance for any help.
March 16th, 2009 6:18am

hi there,i would suggest you to check if the issue is occuring in safe mode as a testing to check if 3rd party services are interviening the winlogon.later if the issue is not occuring in safe mode then we can further narrow it down by disabling the 3rd party services and check if the issue occurs.chances=====a) might be because of 3rd party service / processb) microsoft update ( at times ) sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2009 7:37am

Hi lynkage, I agree with Sainathi. To narrow down the cause of the issue more efficiently, let us refer the following steps to perform a Clean Boot and restart the computer in Safe Mode to see if the issue still continues. Step 1: Perform a Clean Boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. Restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". Step 2: Reboot to Safe Mode 1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu. 2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter. 3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges. Please note: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. Hope it helps.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 16th, 2009 2:00pm

OKIt does not have the issue in safe mode. Should I start by disabling (one at a time) startup services?I just realized that the startup services were still disabled. So I am wondering if it could be the hyper-v roll that requires this extra time to check for anything?Shane
March 16th, 2009 5:16pm

hi there,you might try disabling and check for the performance, and also make sure for testing purpose you stop AV and test. sainath Windows Driver Development
March 16th, 2009 7:43pm

Hi lynkage, Sainath is right. Moreover, you may consider using reliability and performance monitor to monitor and analysis the system perfomance. By using this, you may narrow down and trace which process holds the system resource. for more usage, please refer to: Windows Reliability and Performance Monitorhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749249.aspx you may also use the process monitor utility to monitor the system performance. Process Monitor v2.03http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx Hope it helps. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 17th, 2009 10:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics