Server 2008 log on problems
I ave set up a new server running server 2008. I have a work group of 7 machines, 2 running windows 7 with no problems. They can log on and see network file drive with no problem. The other 5 are running XP serv pk 3 on wont logon to the server ot even display server in my network places. I am pulling my hair out, can somebody please help Kind regards Ross Edinburgh
December 14th, 2010 2:43pm

Hello, this forum is related to Domain services and for normal server support please use the following forum instead: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/threads?page=1 Additional make sure the server has the Computer browser enabled, this has changed with Windows server 2008.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 14th, 2010 2:56pm

Thank you have posted it there. Also where do i find computer browser enabling
December 14th, 2010 3:00pm

Hello, in the run line type "services.msc" without the quotes.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
December 14th, 2010 3:06pm

Another thing to check for is if you have WINS setup for these Win7 machines if they are on a different subnet. -- Paul Bergson MVP - Directory Services MCITP: Enterprise Administrator MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci 2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4 http://www.pbbergs.com Twitter @pbbergs Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 14th, 2010 3:42pm

My win 7 machines are not a problem its my xp machines, they will just not log on, I have checked the server logs and it says that the user has not authenticated. they are trying to, but no luck. I am getting to the point where I think I will just go and buy win 7 for them all. Any help will just be great Thank you
December 14th, 2010 3:50pm

Sorry meant XP. Also post an ipconfig /all for an XP and a Win7 machine as well as your dc. -- Paul Bergson MVP - Directory Services MCITP: Enterprise Administrator MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci 2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4 http://www.pbbergs.com Twitter @pbbergs Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 14th, 2010 4:06pm

Hi Thanks I have sorted the logon problem, for all machines now, except my xp machines are not showing my server drives and files. Solve one thing only to find another Thanks Ross
December 14th, 2010 4:17pm

Hi, I agree with “Edoardo Benussi” and would like to confirm that have you verified the Computer Browser service on Windows Server 2008 domain controller as “Meinolf Weber” mentioned? To resolve the problem, set the Computer Browser service to Automatic and then start this service on the Window Server 2008 server. To do so, follow the steps below. 1. Make sure "File Sharing" and "Printer Sharing" are turned on. To do so, go to Control Panel and open "Network and Sharing Center". Then select the "File Sharing" item and turn it on. Select "Printer Sharing" and turn it on. If there is no printer installed on the server and this option is gray, just skip this step. 2. Click Start>Run. Type Services.msc. 3. Find the "Computer Browser" service. Right click it and click Properties. 4. Change the Startup type from "Disabled" to "Automatic". Click Apply. Click Start to start the service. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 15th, 2010 10:28am

Hi Done that. Set to Automatic, checked tcp/ip and they are enabled, but still no joy ross
December 15th, 2010 12:38pm

Hi, I would like to suggest you temporarily disable any installed firewall and antivirus program to check the result. If it does not work, please also try to test the issue in Safe Mode with Networking. What is the result? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 19th, 2010 10:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics