Server 2008 fails all updates
Hello,we encountered a very interesting problem with our new Server 2008 (primary DC):Any related Windows 2008 update fails. Other updates on the server (e.g SQL 2005 running on same server) works fine.The server is used as fileserver with DNS, DHCP and AD roles installed.Any idea what this could be ?Thanks,Werner
June 13th, 2008 4:30pm

Hi, Could you please verify that you logon the system with the administrative rights and also verify that the update is compatible with Windows Server 2008? Can you tell me KB number of the problematic update that you attempted to install? Also, please locate the C:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log which is related to all the action of Windows Update. Please also tell me the time that you install the problematic update, which may be helpful to locate the root cause. You may send it to tfwst@microsoft.com Thanks for co-operation.Your potential. Our passion.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2008 1:42pm

Hi David,i've sent you the logfile by email, hope you can figure out what's wrong ..Regards,Werner
June 18th, 2008 1:25pm

Hi Werner, From the WindowsUpdate.log, the problem happened when generating download request. Please follow the steps to check if the issue will re-occur. Step 1: Perform a Clean Boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. Then, restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". Step 2. Rebuild the SoftwareDistribution folder 1. Stop the windows update / Background Intelligent Transfer Service 2. Rename the "C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder 3. Restart the windows update / Background Intelligent Transfer Service Step 3. manually download the security update KB950759 and install it again to test if it can be installed. Hope it helps.Your potential. Our passion.
June 18th, 2008 3:24pm

Hi David,thanks for the procedure .. but unfortunately, it doesnt work.During installation of the update, I get the (fatal error) message "This Windows version doesnt fit this update KB950759"I tried also again some of the others - but all the same. None is installable ..Regards,Werner
June 19th, 2008 7:10pm

Hi Werner, Sorry for my late response. Can you please try download a compatible security update package for Windows Server 2008 and then follow the steps to see if it can be installed manually? In the example, we take the Windows6.0-KB950049-x86.msu from the Microsoft Download Center. 1. expand Windows6.0-KB950049-x86.msu -F: *cab C:\update 2. then expand the resulting .cab file by executing it. Please check if you can install the update by this way. Hope it helps.Your potential. Our passion.
June 25th, 2008 10:53am

Hi David,I tried what you mentioned:Downloaded theWindows6.0-KB950049-x86.msuExtracted (just in a different way due Windows always tells me that option -F not available .. ??):expand Windows6.0-KB950049-x86.msu -F: * C:\updateexpanded all files from theWindows6.0-KB950049-x86.cab into a new directory (I can't install there anything)now i am not sure, what to do next cause there is no executeable file in it.btw,. I tried to install the .msu. It says that its extracting and in the last quarter of the installation progress, it fails again ..Regards,Werner
June 25th, 2008 12:58pm

For the issue with the expand command, try removing the space between the -F: and the *cab in the parameters.For the update problem in general, the "This Windows version doesn't fit this update KB950759"could indicatea mismatch between 32-bit and 64-bit installs...in other words, trying to install the x86 version on a 64-bit install of Server 2008 or the x64 version on a 32-bit install of Server 2008.AutomaticUpdates should be able to detect and download the proper versions, but if you are manually downloading the files from the Updates Catalog or from KB articles, you might be downloading the wrong version.If you not sure which version you have installed, you can check the System Information screen (Control Panel -> System). The System Type shouldshow 32-bit or 64-bit Operating System.The one that groks it all...
June 25th, 2008 10:39pm

Hi, I already exxpanded the .msu into an 'update' directory. but after that, i have another two cab's there which I only can expand again .. not install (btw, it was the space inbetween).The Windows2008 version is server enterprise, 32Bit. And there was no other DVD (e.g. with the 64 Bit version) used than the original one. Just it could be, that the updates are 64 Nit version. Only I dont know, how to determine and .. through automatic update, it should recognize itself which BS it is ...We have to fix this issue quite soon as we cant install security patches and this is our main company server with all company data on it .. Werner
June 26th, 2008 3:32pm

The filenames should indicate whether the file is intended for 32-bit or 64-bit by either having 32-/64-bit or x86/x64 in their filename. David had mentioned extracting the cab files and then installing the update from those files; however, I have only found documents on using pkgmgr to install the cab file itself extracted from the msu file. If you want to try installing from the cab file:pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:path\to\updatepackage\Windows6.0-KB950049-x86.cab I don't know if it's the same issue, but I've recently had issues with Windows Update on a few Windows XP systems. I had to basically do what David described in his second post, renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder, but I also had to rename the C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot2 folder. You could try that again,and rename both folders. If you have troubles renaming the CatRoot2 folder, download the Handle utility from SysInternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx) to find out which process is keeping files open in that folder and thenend it from task manager.The one that groks it all...
June 26th, 2008 5:13pm

I ran into a similar instance where autoupdates was failing on my Win2k3 servers. I opened up a ticket with M$, it turned out that the problem was our firewall blocking the autoupdate"psf" files. I am now experiencing a similar issue with Win2K8. I just completed a fresh install Win2K8 on a HP DL360 G5 with 12Gb of memory. Autoupdate is failing.....Although I can download the update (msu) files and run the updates manually. I can't seem to get Win2K8 autoupdate to complete successfully.Unfortunately the workarounds posted didn't work for me. Anyone updates on a fix?Thanks,-ml
August 22nd, 2008 6:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics