Server 2008 can't connect to the internet or ping gateway when assigned a specific IP
Hello experts, I have a weird issue where Windows server 2008 cannot connect to the internet or ping the gateway when it's assigned a specific IP address (i.e. 10.247.131.10); however, other IP's work, such as 10.247.131.46, or if it's assigned a DHCP address. The 10.247.131.10 IP worked fine for months and months until suddenly it just quit working. I've checked and rechecked everything from the default gateway to the dns servers and make sure they're correctly configured. What's more odd is that I can ping everything in LAN (except the gateway) when using 10.247.131.10 IP but not outside the network. Any help that would lead me towards a solution to this issue would be greatly appreciated. --Earl
March 29th, 2011 1:03am

Is this server a member server or DC? Is there a DC with DNS role? Can you post unedited ipconfig /all from both problem server and DC Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 29th, 2011 1:23am

Hello Earl, has your gateway also firewall functionality? Perhaps it identifies a attack (like a port scan by malware) and put the IP to a blocklist. It would describe all the symptoms you have posted. Best regards Thomas Lambertz
March 29th, 2011 1:35am

Problematic Server: a member server
March 29th, 2011 4:06am

Is there a DC with DNS role? Can you post unedited ipconfig /all from both problem server and DC Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 29th, 2011 4:09am

Hi Earl, Thanks for posting here. > however, other IP's work, such as 10.247.131.46, or if it's assigned a DHCP address. I suspect you may have set some rules on your internet gateway device for restrict sending ICMP Echo Reply in response to IPs which not included in DHCP scope address range . Can you verify that ? Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 29th, 2011 11:26am

Problem solved! I'm sorry it took me a while to reply but I learned that copy and pasting ipconfig /all screenshots is not that easy here. It was exactly the firewall that blocked it. It wasn't a misconfigured firewall policy rather it automatically dropped the packets from 10.247.131.10 due to what it thought was an IP Scan Attack. I believe this was triggered when we installed Spiceworks. Thanks Dave, Thomas, and Tiger for your help. This is my first time on this forum and the response is helpful and very fast.
March 29th, 2011 6:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics