Server 2008 background, start menu, task bar turned black. I can see Icons though
I'm having a problem with our windows 2008 server. I had to reboot it because our groupwise web mail went down. When it was fully booted I could see the Novell login box fine. After I login, the wallpaper, start menu and task bar are all black. I can see my mouse, the start menu icon and desktop icons. If I open another windows it will be blacked out (like my computer) I can drag the window around and I see strange icons showing though where the back button or the X (close) button should be. Its almost like something changed the appearance to be all black. How can I fix this? I can't work with it in the current state. EDIT: here is a screen shot. In the picture I clicked the start menu icon. http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8928/36163464.png
November 24th, 2010 9:21am

bump
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 24th, 2010 2:01pm

Now that I look more closely it looks like windows 2003
November 24th, 2010 3:36pm

After working on this for awhile I have gotten the GUI back. I was able to open control planel and guess where the right buttons were. I changed the apperance and everything came back. I then closed the remote desktop session, re-opened it and it was black again. How can I make these changes stick?
November 24th, 2010 3:53pm

Is the problematic 2008 a standalone server? The issue can be caused due to third party programs or the video card driver. Please refer to the following suggestions to help narrow down the root cause of the issue. Step 1: Clean Boot ================= 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. Restart your computer. If the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". If it is inconvenient to take the above steps, please try Safe Mode instead. What is the result in this mode? Safe Mode ========== 1. Restart your computer, and when the Boot menu appears, press F8. 2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select an option, and then press ENTER. 3. When the Boot menu appears again, with the words "Safe Mode" displayed in red at the bottom, select the installation you want to start, and then press ENTER. Step 2: Install the latest video card driver ==================================== You can download the driver from another working computer and install it on the problematic 2008. If you can tell me the detailed model of your computer, I can help you check the driver on my side. Please update the results. Thanks. NinaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 25th, 2010 4:48am

I was wrong. Its windows 2003. I got the GUI back by looking on an XP machine and guessing where the right buttons were. Do you know what would cause this?
November 25th, 2010 10:06am

Hi, Thanks for your clarification. Does the issue occur when you log on the 2003 PC directly instead of remotely? As I have said that the issue was mostly caused due to the third party programs or the video card driver, please refer to my previous suggestions to help narrow down the cause. Given your information provided, we cannot conclude the root cause for now. Thanks for your understanding. Best Regards, NinaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 25th, 2010 8:43pm

hi, Reason would be different . a) check for Virus on the server b) update your video cards. c) safe mode should answer your questions questions a) does it occur on RDP / physical machine. remember RDP is bitmap.
November 25th, 2010 11:23pm

it seems good now. It was black for both RDP and phsyical access. When I changed it on RDP, then re-opned RDP it would be black again. When I made the changes at the server physically they seem to have stuck. I can RDP in now and I dont get the black screen. I installed a program called super anti spyware. a few weeks before this happened. I will have to wait until Sunday to boot into safe mode because I'm not allowed to bring the server down until then.
November 26th, 2010 8:33am

Hi, I would like to confirm the current situation. What is the result in Safe Mode? If you suspect the issue is related to the super anti spyware, you may consider uninstalling it temporarily as a test. If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, I will be happy to help. Regards, NinaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 30th, 2010 9:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics