Server 2008 and network issues
Ok im totally stuck and have no idea why, I come from 10 years of support for server and am stuck.I dont use vista at all which might add to why Im lost in 08However...I built a new 2008 server on a lab box today to test out my company website on it. Got the server built IIS7 and have server rolls ready to roll. However I have no network connectivity into my little lab network, there are NO issues with my lab network as I have had thousands of devices in it and have no issue with network admin'2008 just wont connect, when i ping my gateway i have no route to host, when i ping elsewhere i get timeouts and rout issues?!DHCP wont connectSo I hardset IP i can ping local loopback and local IP but nothing on the LANI shut off all Firewall Profiles, nothingI unchecked IPv6 nothingI keep seeing the network AI (i hate computers that think for me) say that its discovering the network and says Im private? "access to local only" i messed with all the "allow" like allow ICMP always etc... nothinghow the heck do i get this to work like 2003 and shut off all this junk on the network protection? and why wont the server just allow me to work on the LAN? I understand internet 3rd hop, etc but why cant i get access to my gateway.any help would be great I cant get anything out of trusty google as the keywords are too vague
August 18th, 2008 8:32am

Hi, First, please check all the network device including routers, switches and cables to verify that there is no problem on the physical network level and data link level. Then, please check if there are multiple NICs on the problematic server. If there are other NIC, please disable the one that is no use. Make sure that the IP address and the default gateway is manually assigned currently on the properties of the Internet network connection. Also, please run the following command to disable Windows Firewall service with all the profile and then reboot the problematic server to check if the issue still exists. Netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off Hope it helps.David Shen - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2008 1:24pm

yes I have done that, and did it again as you instructed. However i cant ping anything. Why is this such an issue, why dont i have network access like every other distro in the world but 2008?
August 22nd, 2008 12:03am

I had a similar problem with one network adapter. I did a test of setting this server up as a VPN server, and that's when the problem started. I uninstalled the Network Policy and Access Services and still had the same problem. Once I stopped the Routing and remote access service, my network adapter returned to normal
August 22nd, 2008 2:55pm

i unplugged the computer and left it as I was mad with the new network stack. I powered it on today and what do you know its working. no idea what did or did not fix it but this wasn't a good start to determine if I will move to 2008, so far windows 2003 wins as its not full of issues where the response is right click and say repair.
August 23rd, 2008 10:21pm

after some testing and trying to get MY UPS on the server to work, I have decided that the new vista/2008 mess is a waste of my time. I just finished porting all my code to work on a LAMP/centOS there is so much overhead and junk in this OSI finally gave up when the server rebooted to a crash dump of the kernel missing.
August 24th, 2008 6:57am

I also have a very similiar problem. My server is 'actual', not virtual though. The server had no issues when Server 2003 was installed. The hard drive was wiped for a clean install of Server 2008 standard. There are no issues connecting to the local network but accessing the Internet is not possible.UPDATE: When I ping the local network I get the usual reply.Ping NVICSRV01Pinging nvicsrv01.nvicorp.local [10.1.1.253] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 10.1.1.253: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 10.1.1.253: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 10.1.1.253: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 10.1.1.253: Packets: Sent = 4, received =4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in mili-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0msNo problem there. When I attempt to ping something on the Internet, Google for instance: Ping www.google.comPinging www.1.google.com [64.233.167.147] with 32 bytes of data: Request time out. Reply from 10.1.1.37: Destination host unreachable.Reply from 10.1.1.37: Destination host unreachable.Request timed out. Ping statistics for 64.233.167.147: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost =2 (50% loss).(10.1.1.37 being the DHCP assigned IP of the server with 2008)Here are the results from IPCONFIG /ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVICexTEST Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : NVICORP.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : NVICORP.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : nvicorp.local Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-EA-F4-BB DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6137:e8a9:b556:c642%11(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.37(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:37:45 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:37:45 AM Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.241 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.248 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.248 10.1.1.244 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-EA-F4-B9 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 8: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{6F58C07E-D558-46C0-B67F-2A3CF4674E94} Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : nvicorp.local Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.nvicorp.local Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : YesThe Routing and Remote Access service is disabled. The server has no roles. The firewall is turned off. Enhanced Security in IE is disabled. Anyone have any ideas? Need more info? Please let me know.
September 9th, 2008 6:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics