Server 2008 Terminal Server user default profiles
I am trying to setup a terminal server using window server 2008. I checked other forums and they all were talking about roaming profiles or how you setup the profile using sysprep and during the install. All I want to do is what I did in server 2003. I have a generic account that I set the settings I want the users to see when they log in...such as the view of the icons. I would get it like I want it and then I just copy that profile to the "Default User" folder, when the new user logs in they get those exact settings. In server 2008 I know what the user profile folder structure changed and instead of Default User I try to copy the profile to just the "Default" folder. But none of the settings take place. Am I missing something? Doing something wrong? Is there a different way of doing it now, from my research I cannot find a different way. Any help is appreciated.
June 15th, 2009 7:18pm

Hello Brent,The only supported mehod for replacing the default user profileis to use Sysprep with the copyprofile option. This was a change that was implemented in Windows XP and for going forward.This article link outlines the method for doing so.959753How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;959753Here is the blog on the subject as wellhttp://blogs.technet.com/deploymentguys/archive/tags/Default+User/default.aspxWhich has a link that includes a list of some of the issues:http://blogs.technet.com/deploymentguys/archive/2008/02/18/configuring-default-user-and-computer-settings-for-windows-image-deployment.aspxThanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2009 3:26am

Darrel, thanks for the reply. I ran across this article several time and the issue I haveis I already have the server installed and ready to use. Does this mean I am going to have to install the server, get my settings like I want and then capture the image and then re-install the server with the settingsmade? All I want to do is to copy what I already have made to the default, just like I did in 03 and previous versions....Thanks for your help....Brent.
June 16th, 2009 4:13pm

Brent, I was struggling with the same problem Search the internet didnt find a solution that was satisfactory. Though, the solution is simple First use folder options to show hidden/system files. Use the user profiles settings option in Advanced system properties (rightclick my computer, properties). Select your template user, select copy to, browse to %SystemDrive%\Users\Default OR Disable UAC (run msconfig, Go to the tools Tab, scroll down to find click on Launch to Disable UAC (requires reboot)) and you have all the rights in the %systemdrive%\users directory you want. Nice to know, in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" you will see the path of the default user directoryI hope this helps you.Michiel Peeters
July 23rd, 2009 1:27pm

Brent,I just went through this same problem of tryign to fix this on an already deployed terminal server and found this post most helpfulhttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/62ed66ad-71cd-43c3-83c0-5303d77176b8/Read it right through as there are two posts by Heather3 there that form part of the total solution that I used and worked perfectly. I
July 31st, 2009 4:36am

Hey guys, thanks for the help. But believe it or not I was able to do it the even older fashion way. I logged into my account that I use to get the settings that I want. I then just log out, log back in with an account that has the administrator privileges and I just copied the NTUSER.dat file from the profile I made my settings in and pasted it into the "Default" user folder and that worked. Using the previous way of going to the profiles under my computer and using the copy to button just would not work. Not sure if this is the support way, I would venture to say that it isn't, but the way I look at it, it works! Anyway thanks again for the help. Brent
August 4th, 2009 4:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics