Server 2008 Server Manager Error
I am using Windows Server 2008 64bit. It recently failed an update which stoppped me been able to view roles and features in server manager. I used the update readiness tool to find any .mum or .cat and replaced these by downlading the patch (KB950050) and unpacking the files and putting them into "C:\Windows\servicing\Packages". The updates are now working fine, however I still cannot open roles and features in server manager. The error is below, aby help is really appreciated as I've been trying fixes for a while now and no luck. Could not discover the state of the system. An unexpected exception was found: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800F0818): Exception from HRESULT: 0x800F0818 at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr& session, IntPtr& package) at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo() at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize() at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.Initialize(DocumentCollection documents) at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)
June 18th, 2009 5:48pm

Hi, Based on my research, the error may be related to KB961260, please use the update readiness tool to check whether it caused by KB961260. In addition, I also include the following article, you can refer to: Steps I use to narrow down an OS update installation failure on Windows Vista and higher http://beta.blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/03/12/9472695.aspx Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2009 11:54am

Hi Vincent,I ran the update readiness tool and it only shows KB950050, I replaced all of the files that were missing but it still does not open the roles+features. The checksure.log shows the following, is there something i'm missing?=================================Checking System Update Readiness.Binary Version 6.0.6001.22375Package Version 5.02009-06-18 12:40 Checking Deployment Packages Checking Package Manifests and catalogs. Checking package watchlist. Checking component watchlist. Checking packages. Checking component storeSummary:Seconds executed: 211No errors detected
June 19th, 2009 1:39pm

Hi, Based on the checksure.log, there isn't any errors detected. Please perform the following suggestion to test whether the same issue persists. 1. Please boot the computer into safe mode. Clean Boot ============================= 1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility. Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. Restart the computer and test the issue. 2. Please run "chkdsk" and "sfc /scannow" commands and see if they can help If the problem continues, I recommend that you have a in-place installation to repair the OS to test whether the issue occur. Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2009 12:27pm

deleted. sorry
August 31st, 2009 9:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics