Server 2008 SP 2 - does it update explorer.exe?
I'm getting an apphang error on explorer.exe (not IE). Will SP2 reinstall, overwrite or update this or do I need to continue troubleshooting the apphang error?whouston
May 26th, 2011 2:30pm

Hi, If this issue is not created by Windows Server 2008 SP2, I don’t think uninstalling and reinstalling SP2 can fix the issue for you. To continue troubleshooting the Windows Explorer issue, please test the issue in Clean Boot first. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 If the issue persists, I would like to suggest you run ShellExView to check if some third party shell software may cause this issue. Run ShellExView ================= 1. Please download the ShellExView to your Desktop from the following link: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. 2. Right-click the shexview.zip file, select "Extract All", and the Extraction Wizard will appear. 3. Select "Next", and under "Files will be extracted to this directory", type "C:\tool" (without the quotation marks). 4. Select "Next" and select "Finish". 5. Locate the directory C:\tool and double click shexview.exe. 6. Run the program and scan the computer. 7. Please press "Ctrl" on the keyboard and click all items which are marked in pink in the list. 8. Please choose "File" then "Disable Selected Items". 9. Quit and restart the computer to check the Windows Explorer issue again. Regards, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2011 11:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics