Server 2008 SP2 x64 - No network connection after reboot - Have to disable/enable NIC in Device Mgr
I've got a client who has a Windows 2008 Server x64 with Exchange 2007 SP1 and a statically assigned IP address. For the past few months, every time we reboot the server, it doesn't have any network/Internet access. After some testing, we are able to 'workaround' the issue by disabling the NIC in Device Manager and enabling it again. This seems to work every time to bring the network and Internet back up. I am not sure how or why this issue came about, there are no errors in the event log that point to anything. I have updated the Broadcom NIC drivers from the Broadcom website, updated the NIC firmware, and I have updated the Dell BIOS all to the latest versions. I have tried different switch ports and cat5 cables to no avail. This problem has such a quick and simple workaround when I am on-site, but when I am remote at another client this issue can be a HUGE problem. How can something with such an easy fix have a cause that is so hard to track down? If anyone can help me track down the issue, I would be more than happy to provide more information!! Thanks.
July 6th, 2011 5:09pm

Hi, Just a quick check - are the NICs teamed? I have observed a similar issue where I could only do a cold boot for the networking to come up with its NICs functioning. We traced this to an LACP trunking issue. Cheers, DanDan Coe
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 6th, 2011 8:26pm

Hi, If you do not use IPv6, you may temporarily disable it to test the issue. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852 If it does not work, please also try the following troubleshooting steps: Configure Network card duplex ============== 1. Click the Start Button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter. 2. Double click to expand "Network Adaptors". 3. Right click your network card and click Properties. 4. Click Advance tab. High light Speed & Duplex 5. If you would like to use the full functionality, please set the Value to the highest Full. 6. Click OK. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 7th, 2011 1:55am

Hi, Just a quick check - are the NICs teamed? I have observed a similar issue where I could only do a cold boot for the networking to come up with its NICs functioning. We traced this to an LACP trunking issue. Cheers, Dan Dan Coe When you say teamed NICs, are you referring to onboard-dual-NICs? If so, then yes this server has them. But I always have 1 of them disabled. I tried using the other port onboard and disabling the original one, still the issue persists. I will try a cold boot the next time I'm on-site and see if I get a different result, although with 1 of my NICs being disabled I'm not sure if LACP would be our cause. Thanks for reading!
July 13th, 2011 4:57pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 20th, 2011 4:08am

Did you ever solve this problem? I have the same type of server doing the same thing.
June 13th, 2012 11:19am

I'm also having this problem and it's a big one because it's happening on a Windows 2008 SP2 server running the Exchange 2010 CAS/HT role. Due to this fact it takes 30 minutes for the computer to finish booting up and another 20 minutes to log in due to services that depend on AD and the network failing to start. I have another CAS/HT box with an identical config that's fine. I'm stumped.
June 15th, 2012 3:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics