Server 2008 SP2 (KB948465) install fails - error codes 800F0828, 800F826, and 80070070.
I'm trying to install SP2 on a Windows 2008 Server Standard (GUI) 32-bit install I have running on a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with 512 MB RAM. All it does is run Symantec BackupExec and CPS to backup our file servers. The first time I tried the SP2 install it failed and came back with error code 80070070. After searching the inter-webs I found this may mean low disk space, there is nothing else that I can see that gives me any clue as to what would be causing the failure. So I moved the swap file to another drive, cleaned some files up, uninstalled Dell OpenManage and then rebooting. I had about 1.3 GB free but SP2 still would not install. The weird thing is, I keep clearing up disk space but something keeps eating it up. It is a 36 GB drive with 33.8 GB usable space and Windows shows 33.5 GB of the partition being used according to the drive properties. But if I add up the total size of all files and folders on the drive it only comes to 12 GB, only 11.5 GB on disk... So what is eating all that space that Windows can't see or wont display. It can't be some bit-level written cache for the SP2 update can it? I've already moved the swap file and uninstalling a program using 250 MB of space, but am back down to only 200 MB free... I don't know what is using it. I've done a couple defrags and reboots, and the free space fluctuates from 200 MB to 760 MB or so of space after each attempt at freeing up disk space and a reboot. I have tried 7 times so far to get it installed and each time it keeps trying and then just failing with code 800F0828 or 800F826 which seem to alternate with each attempt. I can't seem to find anything on these codes, which are different from the first attempt. Anyone got any more ideas? The only other thing I can think of is maybe 512 MB isn't enough RAM, or I need to somehow create a LOT more free disk space for C:\. Either way it is very frustrating, I didn't have any problems installing SP2 on my other Dell PE 2650's w/1GB RAM, but a lot more free disk space.
June 27th, 2009 12:40am

You can run treesize on the server to get a nice graphical representation of the file system and what folders are the largest. http://download.cnet.com/TreeSize-Free/3000-2248_4-81064.htmlOr you can try a script I wrote for the 2009 Summer Scripting games! It will scan your volumes and output the largest folder. We can change it to output as many folders as you would like in order of size, just let me know. The source code is available in the following link as well as a download option to download the script outright. http://scriptinggames.poshcode.org/code/6456.xhtmlThis should help at least get you in the right direction of identifying what is taking up so much space.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 27th, 2009 10:54am

Hi, I suggest discussing this issue in our Windows Vista Service Packs/Windows Server 2008 Service Packs forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasp/threads I hope your issue can be resolved soon. Tim Quan - MSFT
June 29th, 2009 5:51am

Thanks for the replies. I will re-post this in the mentioned forum. In response to Nick, I tried the first program you mentioned and it also only shows 11.6 GB used by all folders on the partition. Clearly something is missing, 22.2 GB of free space is missing, and i'm not sure what has it...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2009 8:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics