Server 2008 SP1 doesnot join server 2003 domain
HiI am trying to add my windows server 2008 std 32 bitas member in my server 2003 domain. My server 2003 is my DC and DNS. I have added one xp machine very easily to my domain and shows record on my DNS mngt. But my server 2008 is pain. keeps giving em same error.I am also copying my dcbug log here.*************************************** DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller for domain zzz.xxxx.ca: The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.zzzz.xxxx.ca The following AD DCs were identified by the query: domaincontrolle.zzz.xxxx.ca Common causes of this error include: - Host (A) records that map the name of the AD DCs to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses. - Active Directory Domain Controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running. For information about correcting this problem, click Help.***********************Also my server 2008 has a satic IP and I can ping my DNS from server 2008. I can do nslookup and it does show my DNS.I am only interested to join it as member server and install SCCM 2007 R2Please help,thanks.
August 27th, 2009 4:13pm

Hello,please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the 2008 machine and the DC/DNS server, so we can exclude DNS as a problem.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2009 4:26pm

Sure Meinolf. Here it is.Server 2003:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup medialab.uwindsor.caServer: localhostAddress: 127.0.0.1 Name: medialab.uwindsor.caAddress: 137.207.200.32 C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : domaincontrolle Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : medialab.uwindsor.ca Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : medialab.uwindsor.ca uwindsor.ca Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 XT Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-07-33-2A DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 137.207.200.32 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 137.207.200.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1************Server 2008 Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WIN-4R570A79PSW Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDISVBD Client) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-19-BA-61-39 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 137.207.200.31(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 137.207.200.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 137.207.200.32 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled___________________________________________I also diabled IPV6 in registry level sinve I heard it may cause some issues.Thanks.
August 27th, 2009 4:36pm

I also like to add that I have a Vista Ent machine here and it also gives me the same error. What is the spcial rule to add these machines to domain? Please advise.All my OS are 32-bit.
August 27th, 2009 8:00pm

Hi I like to add some few more information so that somebody would get interested and let me know whats going on with my DC. I am unable to add also a server 2003 machine to my domain as a memeber server. here is some nslookup information Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup Default Server: didll18.medialab.uwindsor.ca Address: 137.207.200.32 > set type=SRV > _ldap._tcp.medialab.uwindsor.ca Server: didll18.medialab.uwindsor.ca Address: 137.207.200.32 _ldap._tcp.medialab.uwindsor.ca SRV service location: priority = 0 weight = 100 port = 389 svr hostname = domaincontrolle.medialab.uwindsor.ca domaincontrolle.medialab.uwindsor.ca internet address = 137.207.200.32 > exit C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator> -------------------------------------------------- Just to let you know I have named my server domaincontrolle but there is a DNS name assigned to it as DIDll18. Do you think it is a issue? Please help.
August 31st, 2009 7:19pm

Is this in a private network/lab or is this an live environment?-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
August 31st, 2009 7:57pm

It is in a university enviornment and our subnet is 137.207.200.XXX and 200 subnet is dedicated to medialab.uwindsor.caNow our main campus has DNS. As far I know there is no DC for uwindsor.ca and I am not concerned what they have there. Because they will never share any information. I am tryingt o set up my own DC for medialab.uwindsor.ca to administer 100 pcs in our subnet.Thanks.
August 31st, 2009 8:05pm

Hi, The Default Server is displayed as didll18.medialab.uwindsor.ca because you created a Reverse Lookup Zones and the RTP record 137.207.200.32 is incorrect. If no computer can join the domain, I suggest that you check if there is any firewall blocking the network traffic. You can temporarily disable the firewall/antivirus and check if the issue goes away. If there is no firewall blocking the network traffic, please reproduce the issue on the Windows Server 2008 computer and capture the network packets for further research: Download and install the Network Monitor 3.3 on Windows Server 2008 computer:Microsoft Network Monitor 3.3http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f Log onto the computer, run ipconfig /flushdns. Right-click the Netmon icon and select Run as Administrator to launch NetMon3.3. In the Microsoft Network Monitor 3.3 window, click Create a new capture tab. In the new tab, select all the Network Adapters in the Select Networks window. Press F10 to start NetMon. Try to join the domain again to reproduce the issue. After the error occurs, go back to the NetMon window and press F11 to stop the NetMon. Press Ctrl+S to save the Netmon file. Please upload the Netmon file and netsetup.log (%systemroot%\debug\) to the following space: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=2a636851-64d4-415a-864e-44ae4647323a Password: -QH_8hqoI#! Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 1st, 2009 7:34am

Hi I don't think its firewall issue. I can join Xp machines to the domain. I never created any reverse look up zone. The dns has only fwd lookup. Since my AD works with domaincontrolle host name. but the dns name of the mac address is didll18.medialab. So I think that could be the issue.I asked my network admon to update the dns name for my server.
September 2nd, 2009 12:17am

Thanks Guys.It was my Office scan firewall!! I did disable but probably somewhow it was enabled and blocked my DC.Thanks and appreciate your time.
September 3rd, 2009 10:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics