Server 2008 SMB session tracking/limits
Hi, The mapped drives are limited within 26-drive-letter, including local hard disk drive and optical drive. As far as I know, there is no number limit for mapped drives from a mapping server. You may run the command “net share” to list all the shares. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet blog: How Can I Determine Which Drives are Mapped to Network Shares? http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2005/10/27/how-can-i-determine-which-drives-are-mapped-to-network-shares.aspx Based on the current situation, please try the following suggestions to check the result: 1. Disable SMB Signing by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters and modifying the EnableSecuritySignature value to 0. 2. Disable Restrictanonymous by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa and modifying the RestrictAnonymous value to 0. Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 29th, 2011 7:47am

Hi, The mapped drives are limited within 26-drive-letter, including local hard disk drive and optical drive. As far as I know, there is no number limit for mapped drives from a mapping server. You may run the command “net share” to list all the shares. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet blog: How Can I Determine Which Drives are Mapped to Network Shares? http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2005/10/27/how-can-i-determine-which-drives-are-mapped-to-network-shares.aspx Based on the current situation, please try the following suggestions to check the result: 1. Disable SMB Signing by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters and modifying the EnableSecuritySignature value to 0. 2. Disable Restrictanonymous by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa and modifying the RestrictAnonymous value to 0. Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 26th, 2011 12:48am

Hi, I have server A (running Server 2008 Enterprise 32bit, R1, SP2) and server B (running Server 2003 Standard 32bit, SP2). Server A has an application on it that starts a lot of telnet sessions to itself, and each session does a mapping to a shared drive on server B (a "net use..." as part of the telnet connection). The mappings seem to build up on server B (as viewed with "net session" on server B) in excess of the number of telnet sessions actually running on server A. Eventually response to the mapped sessions on server A stops working, and new mappings will not work. The only solution we have found is to reboot server A to clear things out. It's as if server A has hit a ceiling on the number of mappings to the same share on server B that it can handle. (at this point server A can create mappings to other shares) So, is there a limit on the number of drive mappings (to the same drive) on one machine (server A)? Is there any way to enumerate/visualize all of the existing drive mappings on server A? (doing a net view only shows one mapped drive for the logged in user) thanks.
December 26th, 2011 2:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics