Server 2008 SBS Changed Windows Font to Wingdings On Logon Page As Well As Other Places
So about 1 month ago I went to log on to my server just to notice that everything changed to Wingdings. This included the desktop, windows, well everything. I was able to change some of it back by usinging the personalize menu from the desktop. But, that didn't fix everything. I am still unable to read anything inside the windows. For example, everything in the Microsoft Update window is still in wingdings. I have ran the sfc /scannow tool and it found no issues.When I looked at the registery of my server (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\) there is only one entry and that is (DEFAULT) REG_SZ (value not set)I have been over 1000's of posts and have yet to find an answer. This is the only server in out production environment and I am unable to just take it offline to rebuild it.I am hoping that someone else has seen this and is able to help.Thanks
November 25th, 2009 10:34pm

Hi There, Thank you for posting in windows server forums, Please have a look at C:\WINDOWS\Fonts location and check if the required fonts are present Please use TweakUI from powertoys to repair the fonts.You need to make sure that fonts value is registered under this location. ( eg; c:\windows\fonts)HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell FoldersKB 133725 will help you about missing font issues . One quick way : export the registry from the working system and then import it to the computer and test the behavior ( please make sure you back up your data before doing the same )
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 26th, 2009 4:27am

Hello RyanLogan, Please refer to Sainath suggestion to repair the fonts. In addition, please try the following method to see if it can be helpful. Steps: 1. Backup and the replace the following registry keys from a healthy server of the same OS version: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_INITIALIZE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts 2. Verify the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder and ensure the required fonts are present 3. Reboot the server to test If the issue still continues, you may try to remove the font from the hard disk. Please follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. Type the following command, and then click OK: %windir%\fonts 3. Click the font that you want to remove. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font. 4. On the File menu, click Delete. 5. When you receive the "Are you sure you want to delete these fonts?" prompt, click Yes. Please Note: You can prevent a font from loading without removing it from the hard disk. To do this, move the font (Wingdings Regular) from the Windows\Fonts folder to another folder. For more reference: How to install or remove a font in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314960 Hope this can be helpful. Best Regards, David Shen This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 26th, 2009 7:04am

Hi RyanLogan,I want to see if the information was helpful for you.Please post the progress or if you have additional concern, please feel free to let us know.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2009 6:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics