Server 2008 Registers all IPs in DNS vs Server 2003 registers only primary IP address in DNS
Is there a way to getServer 2008 to register only it's primary address in DNS instead of all it's IPs. We have servers that have extra IPs for testing and such (iis) and we only want the primary IP registered inDNS. While I can always go clean up extraregistrations... The connection will re-register the extra IPs upon reboot unless I turn of "register in DNS" all together.
June 3rd, 2008 4:02pm

I ran into the same issue as you did. After digging around for quite a while I found the only way to correct this behavior is to, as you mentioned, uncheck the Register in DNS option and make sure that you go in and delete the unwanted records.This is not to say that there isn't a solution out there, I just wasn't able to find one either.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 3rd, 2008 4:13pm

Hello, Configure the DNS service to publish specific IP addresses to the DNS zone. To do so, make the following registry modification: PublishAddressesHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\ParametersData type: REG_SZRange: IP address [IP address]Default value: blank This modification specifies the IP addresses that you want to publish for the computer. The DNS server creates A records only for the addresses in this list. If this entry does not appear in the registry, or if its value is blank, the DNS server creates an A record for each of the computer's IP addresses.This entry is for computers that have multiple IP addresses, only a subset of which you want to publish. Typically, this prevents the DNS server from returning a private network address in response to a query when the computer has a corporate network address.DNS reads its registry entries only when it starts. You can change entries while the DNS server is running by using the DNS console. If you change entries by editing the registry, the changes are not effective until you restart the DNS server.The DNS server does not add this entry to the registry. You can add it by editing the registry or by using a program that edits the registry.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275554Hope this helps Syed
June 4th, 2008 3:25am

This works in 2003, but what about 2008? (The DNS key does not even exist in the registry on 2008, as far as I can tell). Searching for an equivalent key in the registry and online has yielded nothing for me, but I may not be the most proficient searcher. Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 19th, 2012 6:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics