Server 2008 RC2 Standard SP1 - .exe files staying open
I have a HP Server with Server 2008 RC2 Standard with SP1 running as a file server in a Active Directory environment. One thing I have noticed is that .exe files that are executed from the server seem to stay open when looking through Open Files e.g. I have a program that stamps the IP address and various other information onto my users desktop. My gut feeling was that this kind of behaviour was probably due to the Antivirus installed on the server (McAfee Enterprise) but after updating to the latest version this is still happening. One thing to note is that so far it's not causing any issues it's just nice to see files opening and closing as they should. What could it be?
August 24th, 2012 6:01am

Hi, Whats the name of the exe file? What's the path of it? By the way, you can try to uninstall the antivirus software to see whether the same issue occur. You can also use handle.exe to check the file which open the exe file. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2012 11:46am

Hi, Whats the name of the exe file? What's the path of it? By the way, you can try to uninstall the antivirus software to see whether the same issue occur. You can also use handle.exe to check the file which open the exe file. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx
August 24th, 2012 11:53am

The name of the .exe file can be anything it seems to effect all .exe's run from the server by active directory login scripts. e.g. d:\store\backdropper\bginfo.exe - this one stamps the backdrop info onto the users wallpaper for tech support d:\audits\scanner\ezscan.exe - this one waits 3 mins after login then audits the PC for software and records the data Both of these should open run and then close, but they remain in the open files list until I close them manually. One other thing I have noticed is that I have duplicate sessions in my session list, for example when the drive mapping to this server occurs it's creating a new session rather than updating the session that's already there so I have dupes for the same servers and users all with different connected times and idle times. I should have thought there would be only one session per computer connected maybe with the exception of Win7 workstations that have multiple users logged in. I will have a go removing the AV when I get a chance.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2012 6:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics