Server 2008 R2 in 2 locations
Hello! We are fixing to get a 2nd location. We need to be able to access the server running Server 2008R2 at both locations. Each one will be running programs that run off the server. Can anyone give me were to start and also any cost that might be associated with this. I know this is a big question. I have set up multiple servers in one location but never 2. I have a month before this needs to be done. If someone could give me outline of where to start it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
July 27th, 2012 11:35am

One other question: Will we need to buy another server at the other location?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2012 11:44am

You can buy 2 routers with vpn capabilities and configure a site to site vpn tunnel between the two locations that way you can access both subnets.
July 27th, 2012 11:57am

If you have a domain controller it is alway best 2 have 2 of them for redundancy. An additional file server with dfs replication would improove performance but depends on how many users are ther in the 2nd location and need to access the file server....
July 27th, 2012 12:01pm

You can buy 2 routers with vpn capabilities and configure a site to site vpn tunnel between the two locations that way you can access both subnets.
July 27th, 2012 12:04pm

If you have a domain controller it is alway best 2 have 2 of them for redundancy. An additional file server with dfs replication would improove performance but depends on how many users are ther in the 2nd location and need to access the file server....
July 27th, 2012 12:08pm

Hi Depends on location. Usually if you build your seond location you must buy new hardvare. If this will work at the same time as your primary location you need to buy new licenses. As far as I know Microsoft supports cold start with one license. You could use leased live between this two locations, configure VPN using Microsoft tools or routers, or use some other options. From my experience you should not face any problem setting server up on two locations.Best regards Dubravko Marak MCP Blog: Windows Server Administration Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 28th, 2012 3:24pm

You shouldn't have any problems with this set up. The easiest way to set this up would be to use a VPN.
July 28th, 2012 5:31pm

You shouldn't have any problems with this set up. The easiest way to set this up would be to use a VPN.
July 28th, 2012 5:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics