Server 2008 R2 can't map drive to remote host by IP address
I have a File Server running 64-bit Server 2008 R2 Standar on I need to map a drive to another server 2008 in a workgroup sitting on a remote subnet via IP address. While this worked perfectly on its Server 2003 predecesor and works on Windows7 AND even other Server 2008 R2 machines on our LAN, this particular server will not play ball. The error message it gives is that it cannot access \\<remoteIPaddress>. The diagnosis states that while it knows the remote server's file and print sharing are on, it can't connect. netstat -a on the remote machine shows no connections from the local server. Telnetting to the remote server on 445 just gets thrown back to the command prompt. I've confirmed that ALL host-based firewalls and security software are off and that hardware firewalls have the correct settings. I can ping and traceroute to the the remote server. Although I can map drives to local resources on the Server 2008 R2, my suspicion is that some feature may need to be installed to make the remote mapping possible. Any thoughts? Thanks!
May 11th, 2011 9:59am

Hi, Thanks for the post. In this case, we need to capture network traffices on both sides when trying to access \\<remoteIPaddress>. And please inform me of the IP addresses of both machines. Network monitor traffic =========== Download and install Wireshark. http://www.wireshark.org/download.html For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=a4e30d00-b002-4133-b356-dc4601b452b4) Password: )OFGlQ%W8fz Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Thanks, Miles Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 12th, 2011 2:53am

Hi Miles, Thanks for the assistance, we've determined this to be a firewall issue after all. Thanks again, Lee
May 16th, 2011 8:10am

I have this exact same question. I disabled all the firewalls in the modem gateway, set the static IP, disabled all of the firewalls in the windows 2008 Server. But I still can't map a drive via the IP address. Any ideas?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 23rd, 2011 5:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics