Server 2008 R2 Trust relationships.
I have a 2003 Domain and I am setting up a new 2008 R2 Domain. We want to set up a trust relationship between the two domains to move people to the new domain but I keep getting errors that the old domain isn't reachable when setting up the trust relationship. Can anyone point me to a good article to help me figure out what I am missing. Thanks, Dan
April 14th, 2011 11:45pm

Written for 2003 but, the basics still apply, you need to configure DNS forwarding, or replicated the DNS zones involved in the trust, etc. How to create a Two-way Trust between two Windows 2003 domains in different Forests http://networkadminkb.com/kb/Knowledge%20Base/ActiveDirectory/How%20to%20create%20a%20Two-way%20Trust%20between%20two%20Windows%202003%20domains%20in%20different%20Forests.aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2011 11:54pm

I claims I need to raise the domain level but I still need the ablity to have 2003 DC's in my new domain.
April 14th, 2011 11:54pm

It claims I need to raise the domain level but I still need the ablity to have 2003 DC's in my new domain. This makes no sense, first the 2003 Schema/Forest will not allow you upgrade beyond 2003 DC's Secondly, As far as i know a domain trust does not require a specific domain level to be in place to establish a trust. Are you sure you these domains are in separate forests? Or you attempting to create a domain or forest trust?
April 15th, 2011 12:03am

Hi, You may start from the Checklist: Creating a forest trust to create a trust. Here is the link for you: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756852%28WS.10%29.aspx Before creating trust relationship, you need to configure the DNS for communication between domains. Generally, you have three options to provide cross-forest DNS name resolution below. l conditional forwarders l secondary zones l stub zones Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com . Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 15th, 2011 7:56am

I didn't do the DNS Configuration. What is the recommended way to handle DNS in my situation? Migrating from a 2003 Domain to a new 2008 domain? Would a secondary zone be the best? Dan
April 15th, 2011 5:48pm

Conditional Forwarding is usually recommended, when no seconday zone replication is needed, no wan is involved, should a WAN be involved no DC from trusted domain is local, or if trusted dc is local then it is also a DNS server. I recommended using item#2.b.ii from this article, thus you only need to configure it once for all your DNS servers. http://networkadminkb.com/Shared%20Documents/Windows%202003%20DNS%20Best%20Practices.aspx Use Active Directory (AD) Integrated DNS Forwarders instead of normal standalone DNS Forwarders when possible. Example: dnscmd /ZoneAdd domain.com /DsForwarder 10.10.10.10 [/DP /forest]
April 15th, 2011 7:00pm

I claims I need to raise the domain level but I still need the ablity to have 2003 DC's in my new domain. u right, u can't make trust between 2008R2 with 200x with the folowing error : Cannot create a forest trust to the specified forest. The specified forest is not at the necessary forest functional level. To fix this problem, you must raise the forest functional level on the specified forest. however, I successfully did it in 2008 with 200x and its OK "after configuring the DNS forwarding or editing hosts file [%systemroot%\System32\Drivers\etc]" Ibro
August 3rd, 2011 6:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics