Server 2008 R2 Stuck on Preparing to Configure Server
Good Afternoon, Im in dire need of assistance as quick as possible on this issue because my entire office is down along with our entire network. On our domain controller I installed a set of updates (dont remember which ones) and after the installation it restarted and now is stuck on Preparing to Configure Windows. Nothing I've done has been able to fix the problem, and I'm afraid the microsoft updates turned my Server into a rock. Ive tried restarting in Safe Mode - but it restarts as soon as it pops up with preparing to configure windows. No safe mode option works. I've tried System Recovery and running both ChkDsk /R which didn't help anything, and SFC /Scannow which said that a repair was pending and to restart before running, rendering it useless. I've tried remotely accessing the computer through computer management but was unable to start or stop any process - soon as I chose to restart or stop or start something, it froze. This whole thing has me really worried. I wish I could provide a bit more information but that's all I've been able to attain thus far. Please, if anyone knows how to remedy this (without the obvious doing a restore or backup restore or wipe and reinstall because all three would be a HUGE hassle) I would be greatly appreciated!
October 21st, 2011 7:12pm

try to give a ctrl+alt+del at this time.once i had this problem,but after ctrl+alt+del it gave the login screenDarshana Jayathilake
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 21st, 2011 9:27pm

try to give a ctrl+alt+del at this time.once i had this problem,but after ctrl+alt+del it gave the login screen Darshana Jayathilake I've tried CTRL+ALT+DEL and it doesnt work. The computer continues to just sit there at Preparing to Configure Windows. Does it default to being disabled and do I need to somehow enable it or should it work if it will work? If so - how do I enable it?
October 21st, 2011 9:55pm

Hi, If you need quick recovery and can accept the disadvantages of this method you may try deleting the pending.xml file and rebooting: More info here: Common errors during Service Pack or windows update deployment and how to resolve them. http://www.spaskaloferov.com/blog/?p=28 Boot from the Windows Setup DVD media or Windows Recovery DVD and delete the pending.xml file: Take permissions over the file if necessary (optional) takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G :F Rename the file Rename C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml C:\Windows\winsxs\pendingOLD.xml Pros: This is the quickest method to bring the server and make your LOB application available to users. Cons: This method has it’s disadvantages. After doing this you may not be able to install Windows updates anymore or/and , the Windows installer service fails to start or Windows Installer is not working an you cannot install any MSU packages. As far as I am aware there isn’t much you can do. Best is to backup all necessary information and rebuild the server. Will appreciate if you give feedback if this has helped you. If yes please select “Mark as answer”. Best Regards, Spas Kaloferov [ MCITP: SA6 | EA6 | VA7 | EDA7 |DBA10 | DBD10 | BID10 | EMA14 | SPA14 ] NetShell Services & Solutions | “Design the future with simplicity and elegance” Visit me at: www.spaskaloferov.com | www: www.netshell-solutions.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 22nd, 2011 3:49am

It worked in my case after doing a clean install of windows server 2008 R2 standard and applying 72 critical updates. thanks
June 21st, 2012 1:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics