Server 2008 R2 Standard will not shut down after moving to AD specific OU
After adding a new server into the domain and moving it into a site specific OU, the server will not shut down. It just hangs on Shutting Down for hours until it finally reboots or we manually power it off. This also seems to happen with Windows 7 x64 servers. I've done some searching but have not found anything specific to regular servers, only to domain controllers so I'm unsure what to try. If anyone has any ideas or has encountered this before and can help, it would be appreciated.
December 20th, 2012 8:53pm

Are you applying a specific GPOs on this OU? Please check the applied settings especially the shutdown scripts. You can use rsop.msc and gpresult for troubleshooting. You can also do a clean boot to make sure that this is not caused by a third party software installed on the server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 21st, 2012 2:08am

Hi, Thank you for the post. For Windows 7 system, please install this hotfix and see if it helps:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307/en-us Regards,Nick Gu - MSFT
December 21st, 2012 6:29pm

Yes I am but I'm not sure how to check the shutdown scripts. As a test I took it off the domain and it reboot extremely fast. I'm going to put it back on the domain and not move it to a OU and it reboots fast. As soon as I move it into that OU, it get hung on shutting down. Is there anywhere I can look to see if any events are showing why it takes so long?
December 22nd, 2012 12:02am

Validate if this is happening on all the systems under that OU or is it happening to specific system Get a gpresult from the machine and analyze the policies - target specifically on Logon scripts upload the gpresult for further analysis.
December 22nd, 2012 2:17pm

Seems some GPO/Script issue in that particuler OU to check the Script follow Open a Group Policy Management Console and review the GPO --- policy name Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) Kalvinder
December 23rd, 2012 11:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics