Server 2008 R2 Permissions error on personal folders
I'm having an issue with one of my clients' Server. The client is a small business, only 5 users, and uses a single server only as a DC and file server. The motherboard on their old server(SBS 2003 std) failed, and the server had to be replaced. The new server came with Windows server 2008 R2 Foundation pre-installed and as they do not need any higher functionality than that I left it as it was. I set up the domain on the server configued it as a DC and added the users ect. I then added the data drive from the old server to the new one. I Recreated the users' profiles on their PCs and copied their data from the old profiles to the new ones. Each user has a shared folder on the server with full control over their folder and all subfolders. Each user is in the administrators group and has local administrator rights. The problem is that the users cannot access their personal folders and cannot import their mail from the server. I have tried removing them from administrators and re-adding them, Disabling the UAC on the server as one article suggested, I went to the specific folder and checked the permissions for administrators group has full control, I gave the specific users admin rights over that folder, I unchecked the 'inherit permissions' and set the permissions fot the folder itself... Nothing has worked. The error message is "Access is Denied. You do not have permission to access this folder." I am at a loss here. Is there something I missed? Does anyone have any suggestions?
August 24th, 2012 7:58am

Hi Try Ownership, Your can add or replace owership of each folder and give it to related user. Right click on folder where the folders shared -----> Security------>Advanced------->Owner ---->Edit
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2012 8:24am

Hi, Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums. We can try some steps in the article below to troubleshoot this issue: Troubleshooting Shared Folders http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733154.aspx In the meantime, we can try creating some new users and access their personal folders. Does the issue persist with those newly created users? Regards Kevin
August 27th, 2012 1:17am

Hi I have already done this. it didn't change anything.
August 27th, 2012 1:47am

Hi Kevin I have tried the steps listed in the article and the problem still persists. I have also tried creating new users. still no luck. the problem still persists. Regards Russ
August 27th, 2012 1:52am

Hi Russ, What's the result if we remove and re-add this specific server in the domain? Does the problem persist after that? Regards Kevin
August 28th, 2012 10:18pm

Hi Kevin I can't remove this server from the domain as it is the only server as well as the Domain Controller. is there a way of doing this? or do you have any other ideas? Also, Is it possible that this has something to do with moving the data drive itself from the old server to the new server instead of copying the data onto the existing drive in the new server? Kind regards, Russ
August 29th, 2012 8:08am

Hi Kevin I can't remove this server from the domain as it is the only server as well as the Domain Controller. is there a way of doing this? or do you have any other ideas? Also, Is it possible that this has something to do with moving the data drive itself from the old server to the new server instead of copying the data onto the existing drive in the new server? Kind regards, Russ
August 29th, 2012 8:13am

Hi Russ, Since the old server system and the new one are different types, the reason you mentioned can be the cause of the problem. If it is possible, we can try copying the data files to the new hard drive and testing personal folders on the new hard drive for those newly created user accounts. Regards Kevin
August 29th, 2012 9:49pm

Hi Russ, Since the old server system and the new one are different types, the reason you mentioned can be the cause of the problem. If it is possible, we can try copying the data files to the new hard drive and testing personal folders on the new hard drive for those newly created user accounts. Regards Kevin
August 29th, 2012 9:54pm

Hi Kevin Sorry for the late reply. It Worked! I tried it first with the manager's personal folders, just copying his data folder to the new drive, and mapping a drive to that location for him, and importing his outlook pst from there. there were no problems, everything worked fine. I'll have to do it with the other users but I'll be cutting it fine on space as the drive that the server came with is smaller that the data drive. I'll then have to format the data drive and hope that the server 'adopts' it, that after formatting it inherits the 2008 permissions. holding thumbs that this'll work. :) I'll let you know. Thanks for your help so far! Regards Russ
September 3rd, 2012 2:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics