Server 2008 R2 Memory Usage
We have 10 Server 2008 R2 servers all exhibiting the same behaviour. The servers run at almost 100% memory utilization. Only one has had SP1 installed, which I did this morning and after about 1 hour, the memory is maxed out. The server initially had 14GB memory, but after installing SP1 and seeing more of the same, I decided to try installing more RAM. I put in another 8GB, and while it takes a little longer to bottom out, it still bottoms out. Perfmon is showing less than 100MB of available memory, and, as expected, performance is not good. These servers are strictly file servers. We work with images of hard drives. They are split into 2GB chunks. An easy way to replicate the issue is to load a hard drive image and do a re-acquisition. We do this sometimes as a drive may be acquired in the field without compression, and we will re-acquire it with compression. Once this process is started, in about 1 hour, I have about 100MB free memory. Using RamMap, Mapped File is using 21GB of memory. When I look at the file summary, the server is caching the 2GB image files and not letting go of them in a timely manner. I am the _only_ person accessing this server, it just gets worse when more are. As noted above, performance is terrible, is this supposed to be normal? Server is an IBM x3550 M2 with dual quad-core CPU, 22GB RAM, OS is on a RAID 1 mirror of two 76GB 15K SAS drives, and the server has two 14TB arrays attached. OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Only the File Server Role is installed. Thanks, Brian
June 7th, 2011 11:30am

Hi, I would like to confirm that do you have Exchange Server installed on the servers? If you do have Exchange Server installed, this behavior is normal. Exchange store.exe grabs as much RAM on the server as it can possibly get because store.exe needs it to optimize performance. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet blogs: Why is Exchange Store.exe so RAM hungry? http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2004/08/02/206012.aspx Understanding Exchange 2007 Memory Usage and its use of the Paging File http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2008/08/06/3406010.aspx If you do not have Exchange Server installed, please check Task Manager and let us know what application uses the large size of memory. In addition, you may run Process Explorer to monitor the memory usage. You may download and install it from the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx After that, please let us know the suspect. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 8th, 2011 2:19am

No, Exchange is not installed on this server. The server is a file server only, that is the only Role currently installed. Task Manager reports very little. The largest process in task manager appears to be related to the IBM storage agents, and is using about 90MB. Process Explorer reports a little more than Task Manager, but RamMap is really showing what is going on. Here is a summary of what I observed doing a re-acquisition of a hard drive image. Process Explorer @ 11:20am/@12:15pm Physical: 23,057,900/23,057,900 Avail: 18,471,132/86,276 Cache WS: 2,183,496/20,672,752 Taskman @ 11:20am/@12:15pm Total: 22,517/22,517 Cached: 18,033/97 Avail: 18,038/78 RamMap @ 11:20am/@12:15pm Mapped File Total: 18,435,040/21,649,956 Active: 11,532/21,567,912 Standby: 18,423,424/1,572 By the time we get to 12:15pm, the server has slowed dramatically, my re-acquisition is running at about 1/10 the speed before the server ran out of memory. RamMap shows what files the server is caching, and it is holding the 2GB image chunks well after the program is finished reading them. Interestingly, I shared out a folder with an HDD image on a Windows 7 box and started another re-acquisition. Windows 7 behaves in the exact same way, caching the image files, but it starts releasing them once the server is down to about 1GB RAM free, instead of waiting to the bitter end. Brian
June 8th, 2011 12:53pm

Hi, Would you please send me the Process Explorer log for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=cf3aebd0-25be-4183-9fe9-0cf16b67ead2 Password: $[ludL$hIDt5 Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 14th, 2011 2:46am

Arthur Apologies for the delay, I have sent the Process Explorer logs as requested. At the time I saved the log, the server had less than 100MB free... Thanks, Brian
June 23rd, 2011 11:02am

Arthur, is there any solution (or why is this happening), as we are experiencing the same behaviour on our file servers (only IIS, File Services and DFS running). Thank you, Vojtech
June 28th, 2011 5:48am

Anyone???
July 5th, 2011 1:50pm

Hi, In fact, I did not receive the Process Explorer log file. Would you please send me a new one again? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 7th, 2011 4:29am

File re-sent. Thanks, Brian
July 11th, 2011 11:19am

Hi, Please try to temporarily disable Kaspersky Anti-Virus to check the result. If it does not work, please also test the issue in Clean Boot to narrow down the possible conflicting software. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 What’s the result in Clean Boot? Regards, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 13th, 2011 9:18pm

Was an answer for this ever found? I'm seeing similar results with my Server 2008 R2 File Server Cluster.
February 15th, 2012 1:22pm

Sorry, I kind of forgot about this thread. I ended up opening a ticket with Microsoft. It was indeed the exact same problem as people were having with Server 2008, which Microsoft was kind enough to provide a publicly available fix, but, for unknown reasons, have not provided for Server 2008 R2. They provided me with the DynCache fix, which allowed me to set a limit on how much memory was used. Problem solved! They even ended up charging me $100 for the fix, despite the fact that if the issue is Microsoft's, there is supposed to be no charge. I was going to dispute it but it got lost in the shuffle. So, open a ticket with MS and they should provide you with DynCache, just don't let them charge you for it. Releasing a product then charging extra to make it work correctly is called a racket in my business... Hope that helps Brian
February 15th, 2012 1:44pm

Hi Brian, I have been facing similar issue with Windows 2008 R2 version. I also tried compiling the source to make it usable for 2008 R2 version. But it didn't function at all. If you could share the exe would be of great help. My email address is mailrupendra@lycos.com Best Regards, Rupendrasingh
March 19th, 2012 1:54pm

Hi, I have the exact same issue here. Running Windows Storage server 2008 Std. Cache keeps climbing up to 99% of total memory, leaving 1 mb free. I installed the Dyncache fix, however no improvement seen. The weird thing is , in task manager the Memory "fuel gauge" shows just 2.27gb of memory in use, but the counters under physical memory show I only have 1 or 2 mb free out of a total of 24gb. Hmmmm. mwalshe
March 22nd, 2012 11:03am

Those links are for Server 2008, not 2008 R2. Though one of the links does mention that if you are having the problem with R2, you are to contact MS to obtain the fix. I really don't know why they aren't making it available. Thanks Brian
May 11th, 2012 3:43pm

i have the same problem with 2008 R2, (please R2 !!!) and i'm looking for a definitive solution. daily i need to open rammap and clean Empty System Working Set (like Diokhan ) but is a manual operation and i think is impossible microsoft in 2012 year has this type of problem. Please if anyone has solution or found a way to batch a command to clean Empty System Working Set contact us. Dyncache only work for 2008 NOT r2, please do no mistake! Thanks
June 20th, 2012 9:46am

Please read my post from February 15th. You need to contact MS and open a ticket to have them send you Dyncache for Server 2008 R2. I have no idea why it is not generally available. Thanks Brian
June 20th, 2012 9:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics