Server 2008 R2 License Issues
Hello, I recently started having problems with windows asking me to activate my Server 2008 R2 software because it must have been getting close to the 30days I believe. Well first off I wanted to extend this a couple of times, just in case I have issues and need to reinstall (don't want it activated yet). So I tried using slmgr -rearm That says "On a computer running microsoft Windows non-core edition slui.exe to display the error text". Well I ran slui.exe in a command prompt and it opens up the windows licensing activator. So then I thought.....okay well maybe I will just activate this and get it out of my hair. So I typed in my key and tried to activate it online. It says it was invalid....and I only have 1 key from my Technet Pro subscription and want to activate it for this. So then I wanted to call the license center and have them activate my subscription using their over the phone option. Wel that optoin is grayed out. I only have the online option and the Other option beneath it is grayed out. Now when I go to the System properties it says "not avaliable" for my status and product ID. So I need help on a couple of things: 1. Can I get the license information fixed so I can "slmgr -rearm"? 2. How can I get it enabled so I have the option of using the over the phone activation? Why won't my Multi-use Server 2008 R2 key only worked once? Now that computer is formmated (issues) and it won't let me activate a new key? Thanks, Steve
March 8th, 2010 5:51am

How many times did you try to rearm the 2008 server? I know that there's a limit of 2 or 3 times before you really have to activate your license.you can try this option for the telephone activation. 1. Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4 2. Press ENTER on your Keyboard 3. Select your Country. 4. Take the Phone Activation option, and hold on for a real person. Greetz, Jack Cobben MCTS, MCITP SA http://www.jackcobben.nl
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 8th, 2010 12:03pm

When I type "slui.exe 4" it shows the little "Click to activate windows.." in the notification area. So I clicked on the ballon and it pops open the same online activator but with no options. It just wants me to immediatly enter a key and it will only try to activate it online. No phone activation option, and I can't select the back button to try the phone activation option either. No I have not slmgr -rearm it even once. And I can't even do it now either because of the previousally mentioned error I get. I think something is wrong with the license files or something. Is there anyway I can repair the license files so I can at least get my phone activation option back. And does the slmgr -rearm work on Server 2008? How come it doesn't work for me. Thanks, Steve
March 8th, 2010 2:39pm

Hello Steve, Since when you type in the product key, it says it is an invalid key, I suggest contacting your local Microsoft Activation Center for detailed information. As your issue could be urgent, you can also contact our Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for direct assistance. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS If you are outside the US, please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 10th, 2010 4:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics