Server 2008 R2 Hangs at Welcome Screen.
I have a number of remote servers. Occasionaly I cannot logon to the server using the local administrator account; The logon process hangs at the "Welcome" screen. I have left this over night to see if the process would complete but it did not. The only solution it seems is to reboot the server.
September 1st, 2010 6:38pm

The only solution it seems is to reboot the server. You can proceed by rebooting the server. If the problem still the same, please logon using safe mode and check if there is error IDs that are registered. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2010 7:45pm

Hi, this issue is one some servers, which had in short time before installed new updates. You can try remove latest updates...
September 1st, 2010 7:51pm

Hello KevinJK, What is the function of Windows server? The startup time increases or hangs at the logon “Welcome” screen if you frequently backup Hyper-V virtual machines on a Windows Server 2008 R2 system http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982210 Brent Hu,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 7th, 2010 5:53am

The Server hosts a number of services including a Hyper-V VM. However I have never backed up the VM. (Which remindes me that I should). The Server also contains a TMG 2010 and a SQL Server DB.
September 7th, 2010 7:08am

Hello KevinJK, This cause can be caused by some third-party software such as anti-virus programs or viruses. Please try a Clean Boot and perform a virus scan, and make sure that the latest patches are installed on the Windows server 2008 R2. How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 Brent Hu,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 8th, 2010 9:01am

Most of the time I can log onto the server. It is only about 10% of the time that I cannot log on. There was one time when I could not log on yet another administrator was logged on.
September 8th, 2010 8:14pm

Hello KevinJK, This problem may occur if all the following conditions are true: • You switch to another user without logging off as the first user. • You log off the computer as the second user. • You run a program in the context of the first user. • You have a network share mapped to a drive letter. • The network share has been made available offline. If the problematic server is not in a domain, please try to configure classic logon screen see if the issue can be resolved. Understand and Configure the Welcome Screen and Classic Logon Screen http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff394947.aspx The following kb is for your reference: The Welcome screen may be displayed for 30 seconds during the logon process after you set a solid color as the desktop background in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977346 Brent Hu,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 9th, 2010 9:53am

We have the same problem at all but one of our R2 sites. This started with 2008 R2. Anti-virus is not the problem. The problem happens even without it. Cold reboot has been the only remedy so far. Classic logon screen makes no difference.
September 23rd, 2010 10:08am

I have found that by disconnecting the network cable from the LAN for a minute or so, I can then logon on.
October 1st, 2010 4:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics