Server 2008 R2 Domain Controllers can't browse the web
I noticed that my domain controllers weren't getting Windows updates. WSUS was working fine. The DC's are pointing to the correct location. Then I found out that my DC's can't browse the web at all, and I can't figure out why. I can ping other resources. Replication is working fine. They answer DNS queries. Everything works except for things on port 80 and 443. I've looked at the group policies applied to the DC's and can't find the cause there. I've turned off enhanced browser protecting. Is there anything I'm missing?
September 22nd, 2011 12:55pm

I tried running through the Security Configuration Wizard. Also, I've turned off the windows firewall completely to see if this was the cause. It was not. It's not our firewall for our network, because I can't connect to web browsers on the same network.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2011 12:57pm

So, have you verified that name resolution is working on the DCs? To validate the client DNS services on the DCs, can you ping other systems by name..intranet and internet? Can you browse to any intranet web sites? Have you validated that your DCs have the correct TCP/IP configuration? Their DNS settings point to themselves and another intranet DNS server? Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 22nd, 2011 1:36pm

Thanks, JM. Yes, all of that works. I was wrong. As it turns out, it looks like a GPO is preventing updates and web browsing. I moved the DC into a sub OU, blocked inheritance, ran gpupdate /force, rebooted. Then it was working. So what I think I have is a GPO in the parent OU that is causing the problem. I should be able to isolate it from here. Thanks for the reply.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2011 2:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics